123gr Nosler Custom Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 123gr Nosler Custom Competition

Just got a box today and (then) attempted to find loading data. (Dumb.... Grasspoppa).

I'm less concerned with powder types/weights than I am with OAL experience as the bullet is considerably shorter than its 123gr Lapua cousin and the ogive priofile is obviously different as well.

Horandy 5-26 comparator distance measurement from the bullet base:

Lapua 123 - 0.741"
    Nosler 123 - 0.701"

(In other words, I can probably seat the bullet ~0.040" further out than the Lapua to get the same standoff from the lands.)

From this I predict I can probably totally max out magazine length and still be way off the lands.... But does anyone actually have range experience ?

Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2012, 12:26 AM.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The NCC's are usually considered to be similar in design to SMK's:

Maybe I'm living under a rock or something, but I haven't previously noticed the 123gr Nosler HPBT Custom Competition bullet. Didn't see it listed on Nosler's website, nor on the JBM Ballistic's website, but noticed on MidwayUSA's site: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/484453/nosler-custom-competition-bullets-264-caliber
    Drifter

Comment

• RangerRick

No experience with the Nosler CC's but with a lot of Grendel bullets the best you can do is mag length.

With the Hornady 123 AMax the factory seating on their loaded ammo is 2.25. I get better luck there than, cranking it out to 2.26 or 2.27. Go figure.

RR

Comment

With the Hornady 123 AMax the factory seating on their loaded ammo is 2.25. I get better luck there than, cranking it out to 2.26 or 2.27. Go figure.
        I ran these measurements tonight before loading up for a weekend set of trials. The info might be useful to others:

Note the120-AMax's comparator reference point is a good 55 thousandths short of the Lapua 123's. I can then make the (possibly rash) assumption that when that HNDY is seated at the same OAL as the Lapua, the HNDY is ~55 thousandths further off the lands compared to the Lapua.

Given the Lapua at 2.265" (as per AA's load charts) sits just barely into the lands by my measurements, the HNDY would be sitting at least 50 thousandths off. Given your 123 HNDY is probably not too far from those 120's dimensions, small wonder it likes to sit as far out of the case as possible.
        I HAVE TO REWORK THIS FROM THE GROUND UP -- WHILE THE GRAPHED/MEASUREMENTS ARE CORRECT, THE ACCOMPANYING NOTES/CONCLUSIONS ARE NOT PROVING CORRECT FROM EMPIRICAL MEASUREMENT....
        STAND BY.....
        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Do you have any idea the published BC of the nosler bullet?

Comment

The Custom Competition range will have three new projectiles: a 6.5mm 123gn HPBT with a BC of .510; a 7mm 168gn HPBT with a BC of .520; and a .30-cal (.308") 140gn HPBT with a .396 BC. All come in batches of 250.
            So sayeth Shooting News:

(But I'm having a hard time believing that when I compare it to the 123 Scenar shape/dimensions)

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

.510 seems about right, as that's the same as the published BC of the 123gr SMK:

Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

As I remember it, the 123 SMK is more like a the Lapua, almost a VLD design.

The 123 Nosler appears more like the 120 SMK.

BUT...I'm out of town, and can't sit the 123's side by side!

Comment

Bill beat me to it...I was just going to say that it looks like a 120gr SMK in external profile.

Comment

What is the price difference between the 123 Scenar, 123 NCC and 123 SMK in your area?

Comment

• tucansam
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2016

Resurrecting this thread considering the overrun buy, has anyone had luck with these?

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tucansam View Post
                        Resurrecting this thread considering the overrun buy, has anyone had luck with these?
                        I'm wondering the same. I bought (500) 123gr NCC overruns from shooters pro shop, scheduled to arrive Thursday. I had good luck with AR Comp and 123gr SST's so I'm going to do a ladder with that recipe + and - .3gr. I'll follow up with results but unfortunately it might be awhile before I can get them loaded up and get to the range.

If it's helpful to anyone I can post some photos of the bullets alongside the SST as well as post the max mag length in my AR-Stoner mag.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

In reference to OP's #4 where the graph and data are, IIRC the H-123 has more of a secant ogive (longer tip) as opposed to the more tangent-like (more blunt) of the Hdy-120 shape... BC's differ also for the 120 (.465 or .485?) as opposed to the 123 (.510).
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

nosler has load data on there website for the 123 CC its on the conservative side but they shoot fine and unless you are chasing a thousand you dont need to push the velocity, the COAL is 2.25 i pretty much always just load grendel to max mag length as a baseline

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.
                            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• GarandThumb
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2015

I've been playing with them recently. With the 123 amax's gone and the 123 elds costing an extra $6 per box, i'm in the market for a less expensive plinker load.

27.6gr of ar comp works decent. Im getting ~2550 fps from a 23 inch barrel. Groups are nothing to write home about but I doubt the steel targets care.

Comment

Working...
                              X