• Varget loads with 123 gr AMAX

Any suggestions on very accurate loads?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tim Davis View Post
    Any suggestions on very accurate loads?
    1) Change powders.

2) Use XBR 8208 or maybe BLC-2

Varget is too slow, can't get enough in the case.

Start around 27.5-28 grains of either of the other 2 and work up. You might also consider TAC or 2520, at similar weights.

Comment

I got good results with 28.8g of Varget under a Sierra 120 Pro-Hunter, sub-moa. Don't know what kind of fps I was getting. With that said I bought some 8280 to try with the Nosler 120 BT.

Comment

I agree with Bwaites. I tried Varget just because I like the powder..it didn't work out well. It didn't hurt anything, but just wasn't giving me a reasonable velocity. I now use W748, TAC, BLC-2, or AA2520. BLC-2 is only used if I don't have anything else available, and need ammo immediately....a situation I try like the devil to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          1) Change powders.

2) Use XBR 8208 or maybe BLC-2

Varget is too slow, can't get enough in the case.

Start around 27.5-28 grains of either of the other 2 and work up. You might also consider TAC or 2520, at similar weights.
          Originally posted by noone View Post
          I agree with Bwaites. I tried Varget just because I like the powder..it didn't work out well. It didn't hurt anything, but just wasn't giving me a reasonable velocity. I now use W748, TAC, BLC-2, or AA2520. BLC-2 is only used if I don't have anything else available, and need ammo immediately....a situation I try like the devil to avoid.
          Used Varget, BLC-2, AA2520 and 8208. Varget by far was slowest. It works great in my .223, but not in my Grendel. 8208 and 2520 both work best.

Comment

Working...
          X