Nosler 120 Ballistic tips with Accurate 2520 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosler 120 Ballistic tips with Accurate 2520 Questions

I decided to abandon my quest for a 140 grain Interlock load and start off with something a bit more tried and true. I purchased some Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip bullets. I did some research and I saw that lots of people had good luck and decent results with Accurate 2520 powder. I went to the Alexander Arms website got the load data for this particular bullet. Here is what I have so far...

Hornady Factory new Brass
    CCI #450 Small rifle magnum primer
    Accurate 2520 Powder - 30.0 Grains
    Nosler 120 Gr Ballistic Tip Bullet

The load data from Alexander says a max load of 30.6 grains of this powder. No listed minimum load. I am not one to usually shoot max loads, I just don't really see a need in my applications. So I decided to step down their max load to 30.0 grains.

I measured out a few charges, put them in the brass, pressed and seated the bullet, and it is a seriously compressed load. I mean this amount of powder fills the case up to the neck portion, about 1/8 to 1/4" from the top. I just feel like I have to push the bullet in a long ways once it starts compressing the powder to get it seated to COL. I cannot imagine if I was trying to put 30.6 grains of powder into the case.

Compressed loads have always concerned me as well. I am not sure why, they just have. I just wanted to check with you guys to see if someone out there is shooting a similar load and if this is normal. It is a fairly small piece of brass to be jamming that much powder into, I understand this. Just wanted to be more safe than sorry. Let me know guys, thanks!

When working up a load that lists only a max charge, reduce by 10% for a "start" charge. If your scale is accurate, 30gr of 2520 behind a 120gr NBT should be fine. I would still start low and work up, but that's just me. I use 29.5 for my accuracy load.

Comment

Perfect, that was what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sta500rdr View Post
        I decided to abandon my quest for a 140 grain Interlock load and start off with something a bit more tried and true. I purchased some Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip bullets. I did some research and I saw that lots of people had good luck and decent results with Accurate 2520 powder. I went to the Alexander Arms website got the load data for this particular bullet. Here is what I have so far...Hornady Factory new Brass CCI #450 Small rifle magnum primer Accurate 2520 Powder - 30.0 Grains Nosler 120 Gr Ballistic Tip Bullet The load data from Alexander says a max load of 30.6 grains of this powder. No listed minimum load. I am not one to usually shoot max loads, I just don't really see a need in my applications. So I decided to step down their max load to 30.0 grains.

I measured out a few charges, put them in the brass, pressed and seated the bullet, and it is a seriously compressed load. I mean this amount of powder fills the case up to the neck portion, about 1/8 to 1/4" from the top. I just feel like I have to push the bullet in a long ways once it starts compressing the powder to get it seated to COL. I cannot imagine if I was trying to put 30.6 grains of powder into the case.

Compressed loads have always concerned me as well. I am not sure why, they just have. I just wanted to check with you guys to see if someone out there is shooting a similar load and if this is normal. It is a fairly small piece of brass to be jamming that much powder into, I understand this. Just wanted to be more safe than sorry. Let me know guys, thanks!
        STA5:

Sorry but something doesn't sound right here. I recently loaded some virgin Hornady brass with 30 grains of 2520 and it only came up into the shoulder slightly. Not as much a fill as you got. I don't think what you have is dangerous unless your scale is off so you may want to check your scale to see it is calibrated. Use one of the 120 grain bullets as they will be within + - .1 grains for the most part. If the scale is accurate and you really threw 30 grains into the case, I don't think there will be any problems. However, if it isn't and you threw over 31 grains of 2520 into the case then you may have problems. Nothing blowing up but one shot brass.

LR55

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

My experience is that 2520 at 30 grains just reaches into the shoulder of Lapua brass as well. I've never noticed that I compressed a 2520 load.

Comment

Good to know, I will have to look into whats going on. I am wondering if my scale is messed up. I appreciate the help. Either way, I am not comfortable with it right now, I need some verification first.

Comment

Working...
            X