Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Development

So I have some reloading questions.....

I recently took up reloading, and I am having good success with it, and really enjoying it. My real question is about the best ways to go about getting it dialed in and eliminating all the wasted time and money with trying every bullet and powder out there. I know its not like that, but I just need some advice on where to go now, because I haven't had as much success loading the right recipe for the 65 as I have with other calibers.

Rifle Specs:
    LOKI Upper
    18'' AR Stoner 1:8 twist
    Free Float Rail

Current Load:
    Straight from AA Website
    -130 gr Berger hunting VLD
    -29.0 gr Hodgdon BL(C)-2

Im getting around 1.5" MOA currently, and know the rifle is capable of much more.

Main goal for this upper is LR Steel shooting and also a hunting rig. I have many other hunting rifles but have really fell in love with the AR platform and its capabilities. So I want to develop a load (and only 1 load) for range use and hunting. Why I chose the VLD thinking it kinda fills both roles.
    Note- have not harvested any large game, only predators so i dont have any experience with the VLD's on Whitetails.
    I shoot Accubonds during the fall, through hunting rifles. And i know they offer accubonds in 6.5 just havent tried them.....
    So give me some advice on a great bullet that fills both the target/hunting role, and please dont send me data on SMK's......

Thanks

Note- Hornady Brass

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Well, the 130 grain VLD may be the toughest bullet going to get a good load for in the Grendel for 3 reasons:

1) It is heavy for the available powder capacity, and the VLD's shine when pushed a bit. They are great for hunting and target, but really need more velocity than the Grendel case can allow. The Grendel shines with bullets between 100-123 grains.
      2) VLD's generally like to be loaded into the lands. You can't pull that off with magazine length cartridges in the AR. Occasionally someone will find a rifle that shoots well loaded a tiny bit off the lands, but that is the exception rather than the rule.
      3) The VLD is a long, skinny bullet, and it takes some powder capacity up because of that. Since the Grendel already doesn't supply enough powder space for the bullet weight, and then you take up more with the bullet itself, it gets real hard to make it shoot the way you want it to.

Since you want a hunting load, let me suggest a couple other options, which should shoot really well out to 600-800 yards on steel.

100 and 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. This bullet has been found to be very accurate in most Grendels that it has been tried in. I have shot many sub .25 inch groups with it, and my most accurate loads were over BLC2, so you've got a start already in that regard.

100 and 120 grain Barnes Barnes Tipped TSX bullets. I have minimal experience with these, but many people claim extremely good accuracy and wonderful hunting performance. I have developed loads for the older TSX that shot well under 1 MOA using BLC2.

That said, I would caution you about expecting too much from your barrel. Undoubtedly some Stoner barrels have been known to shoot very well, but they are budget line barrels compared to Shilen, Satern, etc. They are developed as hunting quality barrels, and anything under 2 MOA is considered adequate for that job.

Unfortunately, because one Stoner shoots well doesn't mean that they all will. That consistency from barrel to barrel is why we pay the custom barrel makers so much!

Hope those ideas help!
      Last edited by bwaites; 04-03-2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Bwaites,
        Appreciate the suggestions on everything. I just got a 5-round C-products mag in and ran into some loading issues.
        1- They rag out with 4 rounds
        2- The VLD's are a bit long

I really like Nosler bullets, just wanted to try something different with the VLD's for kicks.
        Gonna give the Nosler 120 BT a crack using AA data BL(C)-2 powder

Yes sir I am aware that the AR Stoner barrel isnt a Ferrari, but being a college kids it works for me...... I probably do have some over-the-top expectations of this rig. Still think it is capable off 1 MOA with some "special loads" . Because it has been done with production Hornady 123 A-Max's which I can always fall back on....... Just having fun in the new world of reloading trying to learn a bit.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Alchemy,

Great attitude, and I don't want to shut down the belief that the barrel may still be a shooter! I'm betting the BT's will shoot better, and if you got the 123 Amax's doing it, the BT's probably will also!

Have fun, its what shooting is all about!

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Al you can cut some of the coils off the bottom of the mag spring to get to 5 rounds.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Ill get back with a report on the new loads if the wind in OK would ever die!

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                Al you can cut some of the coils off the bottom of the mag spring to get to 5 rounds.
                Thats what I did to get my five round mags to actually hold five. A cut off wheel on a dremel makes it an easy job.

Comment

Hunting VLD,s work well in my 300 win mag drop deer right now at 420 (210 @ 2830) also moa at 810

Comment

Working...
                  X