Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IndyGrendel63

which powder to use?

I know it is dependent on your own particular rifle, but I have to ask... If you all had to choose one and only one powder to use in your Grendel what would it be? So far I have tried Varget (too slow), Win 748, TAC, X-Terminator, H322 (or was it H335, can't recall) and probably one or two others. I have a pound of AR-comp that I need to try and I am thinking about that IMR 8208XBR stuff as well. Just trying to narrow down the components in my powder magazine. So far I have been concentrating on the 120 grain bullets, but I have tried and have on hand 95, 100, 107 and 120 grain pills.

So is there a "magic bullet" or powder out there that will wake up my not so accurate AA upper? I do need to check that barrel nut I suppose, but it is an AA factory upper. Just don't like burning up so much $$$ trying to find a decent load that will work well in my rifle.

Thanks,
    Indy
  • RangerRick

You should be able to get an accurate load with almost all of those. It may not give you optimum muzzle velocity with a given bullet, but you should be able to get an accurate load.

If you can't get a good load with any of them, something else is wrong.

For 120grain bullets I like AA2520. Bill Alexander says it comes pretty close to his factory powder.

It is very similar to Win 748, but much cleaner.

The Hornady 123 grain AMax bullets seem to do well in most rifles, so you might want to try them.

I like AA2460 for 100 grain bullets.

It's going to be hard to find one powder that will work well for all bullets, but BL-(C2) is listed by Alex-A in loads with 107 grain bullets up to 130 grain bullets:

RR

Comment

• Retooferab

I have used 8208 with 85- 120 grain bullets and it has worked we'll with all of em!

Comment

I have used W748, AA2520, and TAC. The loads for W748 and TAC shot to the same place of impact, and I found that handy. AA2520 tends to give higher velocity with less effort. I wouldn't feel bad about using any one of the three. I stay with bullets around 120-123 grains, and don't strive for high velocity.

My brass lasts longer, and accuracy seems to be better with loads that are a bit under the listed max loads. When I approach max loads, accuracy always tends to decline. If a max load is 30.5 grains, I'll load 30.3 If max is 30.7, I'll usually load around 30.4. W748 seems to be more temperature sensitive than AA2520.

Comment

• COTNTOP
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Been using 28 gr AR comp with 123 Scenar (2652 fps) and getting good groups. 8208 shot good and chrono was broken, so did not get to record velocity. I have shot Grendel to 1000 yd with great success using AR comp. Gonna try 8208 with Sierra 123 later. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
            Been using 28 gr AR comp with 123 Scenar (2652 fps) and getting good groups. 8208 shot good and chrono was broken, so did not get to record velocity. I have shot Grendel to 1000 yd with great success using AR comp. Gonna try 8208 with Sierra 123 later. Hope this helps.
            AR-Comp is my new jack of all trades powder. It is spec'd from -20 to +140 F with only a 20 fps variation. I suspect that will be hard to equal with ball powders, but that purely speculative as I don't use ball powders. It also rocks in .30-06, .308, .243 and .260. Next to it, 8208 XBR is very flexible, but I haven't seen a temperature spec for it. If you shoot where temperature extremes are not so wide, then it may not matter.

Hoot

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

AR-Comp is my favorite, and the only powder that I'm currently using for the Grendel.
              Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                AR-Comp is my new jack of all trades powder. It is spec'd from -20 to +140 F with only a 20 fps variation. I suspect that will be hard to equal with ball powders, but that purely speculative as I don't use ball powders. It also rocks in .30-06, .308, .243 and .260. Next to it, 8208 XBR is very flexible, but I haven't seen a temperature spec for it. If you shoot where temperature extremes are not so wide, then it may not matter.

Hoot
                I like the temp range on that AR comp. I'm going to try it. I'm seeing a lot of variation with 8208.

Comment

• vanguard138

I was in Jay's Sporting Goods in Claire the other day on my way home and saw a magazine cover with a new powder out by Hogdon something ... 223? With these almost 60 year old brain burps I should have put it in color note on my phone, LOL. Anyone know what I am trying to talk about? Has anyone tried it yet?

Eric

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by vanguard138 View Post
                    I was in Jay's Sporting Goods in Claire the other day on my way home and saw a magazine cover with a new powder out by Hogdon something ... 223? With these almost 60 year old brain burps I should have put it in color note on my phone, LOL. Anyone know what I am trying to talk about? Has anyone tried it yet?

Eric
                    Copper Fouling Eraser .223:

Haven't tried it, plan on picking some up for fun, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkop View Post
                      I like the temp range on that AR comp. I'm going to try it. I'm seeing a lot of variation with 8208.
                      What kind of variation are you seeing with 8208? I'm on my fifth 8lb jug and have found it to be the most consistent powder I've tried, I haven't seen lot to lot or temperature variation. I've shot it from around 20 degrees up to 107 and according to my data book I was within 1 click at 600 yards. I just won an any/any match last Sunday, and I attribute my success in part to the temp stability of 8208. The major competitor that I beat claimed his issue was that his gun wasn't shooting as well at the low temperatures. Now mind you this was in Florida and he thought 35 was terribly cold, I thought it was the edge I needed.
                      Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X