Hornady Amax bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady Amax bullets

Need the collected wisdom here to help me sort through some measurement issues. I have 123 amax, 120 amax and have just ordered some 100gr amax through Sinclair this morning, so don't have in hand just yet, but need to see if anyone out there has base to ogive measurement for the above three bullets. I've had to create a 6.5 comparator insert from a 25 caliber version, as Hornady didn't see fit to include one in set of 14 I just recv'd, so after a call there and with tech assistance, their measurement is .254 for that particular gauge, though with 1/4" drill bit and some lapping compound, came as close as I could til Sinclair insert arrives. All that said, am wondering about secant ogive of 100gr and 123gr bullets and how it compares to 120gr amax. My overall length to lands is:
    123gr 2.255"
    120gr 2.170
    100gr to be determined.
    I'm hoping the secant ogive and longer length to lands with 123's carries over to the 100gr amax's and I'm not jamming these into the case like I've had to with 120's with an overall length at a very short 2.165 to stay a bit off the lands. Realize I could reduce the load, but with bullet shoved well down in the case, not sure of it's accuracy potential in the long term.
    Would appreciate anyone's comments/wisdom/experience with the above to set me on a correct course. Have 24" Satern 8.75" twist barrel, so playing with both lighter range 100-107gr, as well as 120 Nosler and 123 Sierra's. Have 8208, TAC, BLC2, 4895, RL15 and Varget on hand to work with.

Well I have not tried reloading the smaller stuff just experince with the .30 calibers so far, we found reloader 19 is our most accurate powder, using a 168 A-Max 300 WSM 2 differnt guns both like the Reloader 19 with the A-Max. May want to throw that that one in as well and will probably be the cheapest powder as well.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

The 123 was designed specifically with the Grendel in mind. The 100 is closer to the 120 in shape, identical from what I've been able to figure out, though Hornady tech staff should be able to give you that information without going through all the hassles you've experienced thus far.

Most of us have found the 123 to be very accurate, and the most experienced guys seem to believe that 8208 is the best ticket. BLC2 is also very accurate, if somewhat more dirty. Varget and RL15 are too slow to get enough in the case to get decent velocities. RL12 or so would probably be about perfect if it existed!

TAC works really well also, but is more temp sensitive than 8208, until I found 8208, it and 2520 were my favorites. I haven't played with 4895 at all.

One or two guys have played with Leverevolution and had some pretty good results, and I've bought some but haven't loaded any yet.

123's starting about 27 grains of 8208 and working up and BLC2 starting about 28-29 grains and working up are probably best bets.

Hope that helps!

PS...You'll never get enough RL19 in a case to give you decent velocity.
      Last edited by bwaites; 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have to seat the 100 amaxes at 2.190 oal. The 123s are at mag length (2.260). This is in a satern barrel also and 8208 does well with both bullets.
        Last edited by txgunner00; 02-07-2012, 05:36 AM.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I can't speak for the 100 or 120 grain amax's, but my pet loads are with AA2520 and XBR 8208 using the 123gr amax loaded at mag length.

Comment

123 A-max yes, 120 and 100 A-Max no. I think you will find this to be true for the Grendel. Several powders work well, IMR8208XBR is my favorite.
            Bob

Comment

Thanks for replies. I was hoping to try to pretty full sampling of what's available in the market in both lighter range of bullets and 120-123gr category, having the 8.75" twist barrel. Have Sierra 107/123's, older Nosler 120bt's, Hornady 100/120/123's with their widely varying seating depth range and will eventually hunt down Berger/Barnes/Lapua. I've yet to fire a shot through this upper, have a handful of samples already loaded, but being the ocd type, trying to have it all lined up to see what runs and what gets to sit to the side. Honestly, from what I see so far, cannot understand why Hornady isn't trying to get a lighter bullet set up for the Grendel, same as the 123's, for faster twist barrels. My measurement at 2.255" to lands looks perfect to seat at 2.250 and stay just off the lands-this gives me something to work with. Seating a 120gr Amax at 2.165 to achieve same distance from lands just seems like a bad design for any barrel set up with a short throat. But again, this is all without me having touched off one shot yet, but I am on the learning curve and climbing. Appreciate the feedback, is very helpful.

Comment

Having used them in multiple rifles with decent effect, I have found Hornady bullets very unforgiving in terms of where the lands and (very short start radius) ogive meet. Once you hit the lands, you are hard into them.

So tonight as usual I used my Stoney Point gauge to work up an initial Distance2Lands for the #26172 120-AMAX in my AA 19.5" upper.
                Measured OAL for firmly "at" the lands was 2.112" -- and gave the impression of being short

OK.... my Hornady 8th ed says 2.245, and Bill Alexander warns Stoney Point users not to get fooled by his 2-stage throat.
                So I load a dummy round at the manual's 2.245"; smoke the bullet; drop it vertically into the chamber; and let the bolt go.

That sucker wound up jammed, and so far out of battery, that it was impossible to force the action open again.
                (finally took a cleaning rod in through the muzzle and a mallet to hammer the bullet out of the lands and back into the case)

So take care when determining first dimensions w/ the Hornady designs.
                They don't like being "long"
                Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

123gr A-Max seems to shoot best for me loaded to 2.245 to 2.250 COL.
                  Drifter

Comment

OK. What about terminal performance of the 120 or 123 A-Max? I saw a photo of ballistic gelatin and the Sierra 123 Matchking and liked what I saw. Has anyone done similar testing of the A-Maxes?

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
                      OK. What about terminal performance of the 120 or 123 A-Max? I saw a photo of ballistic gelatin and the Sierra 123 Matchking and liked what I saw. Has anyone done similar testing of the A-Maxes?
                      Reference this thread regarding the 123 A-max for hunting:

Hello to all. I was wondering if those of you who are hunting with the 123 gr Hornady AMAX would mine sharing your experiences with us. I'm curious as to the performance of this round on deer and hog size game. Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays !!
                      Drifter

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

I am confused now.... so what is the proper OAL with the 120 grain Hornady A-Max bullets then????? Thanks

Comment

The proper COAL is going to have to be measured in your chamber. The best way to do this easily will be to use the method that Rasp65 outlines in the thread titled "Jump&Crimp"

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            The 123 was designed specifically with the Grendel in mind. The 100 is closer to the 120 in shape, identical from what I've been able to figure out, though Hornady tech staff should be able to give you that information without going through all the hassles you've experienced thus far.

Most of us have found the 123 to be very accurate, and the most experienced guys seem to believe that 8208 is the best ticket. BLC2 is also very accurate, if somewhat more dirty. Varget and RL15 are too slow to get enough in the case to get decent velocities. RL12 or so would probably be about perfect if it existed!

TAC works really well also, but is more temp sensitive than 8208, until I found 8208, it and 2520 were my favorites. I haven't played with 4895 at all.

One or two guys have played with Leverevolution and had some pretty good results, and I've bought some but haven't loaded any yet.

123's starting about 27 grains of 8208 and working up and BLC2 starting about 28-29 grains and working up are probably best bets.

Hope that helps!

PS...You'll never get enough RL19 in a case to give you decent velocity.
                            this recipe of 27g of 8208 with the 123 AMax.... what would be the coal???? thanks.

Comment

try the factory length, which on mine is 2.245-2.247.

Comment

Working...
                              X