Prefferred starting load for W748 behind Nosler 120 BT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefferred starting load for W748 behind Nosler 120 BT?

Using once fired PPU brass, Winchester primers.

It's for LW 20" from SOAD.

Thanks
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Starting around 27.5 and stopping around 30.0 should do it.

I use a max of 31.7 grains of W748 with the 120 Nosler BT in Lapua brass with a CCI 450 primer, but that load is above anything I ever saw posted, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It may or may not be safe. I definitely wouldn't load quite that high in the Prvi (Wolf) brass since its large primered and a bit softer.

Good luck with your loads, the 120 Nosler usually shoots very well in the Grendel.

One caveat: After shooting the Noslers you might see your groups slip a bit if you switch to a Sierra or other make bullet without cleaning. They'll settle down after a while, but it's easier to just shoot the Noslers last if you are using different makes that day. Bill A. Posted on this previously, and I've had the same thing happen. It seems to be something about the different alloys in the jackets. It'd bother me, but the Noslers shoot SO darn good and work really well on critters at Grendel velocities so I don't mind.
    Last edited by Variable; 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Thanks much, Variable.

Comment

Working...
      X