Resizing and primer question/problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing and primer question/problem

I just started reloading a little before I got my grendel together. Have not had a problem loading my 30-30 or 44mag. Finally got some bullets in and started my 6.5 reloading. Started with resizing my brand new lapua brass as I had noticed a few got dinged around the mouth during shipping/manufacturing. 40 of 50 seemed to catch a little and be tight while resizing even with lubed cases. I noticing a few brass shavings had fallen around the press and on the shell holder, maybe 30 flakes after I was done. I then noticed a few burrs on a few of the cases at the mouth. Is this normal and I just never noticed it before?

I went ahead and primed a few, hand primer as usual. Using CCI 450 I primed a few and got one a little deep, I was told you can fire a case with only a primer in it and it would be safe. So I did, never having done this before, but of course it fired just fine even though it was a little deep. As I pulled the case out of the rifle I noticed it had blown 1/4 of the way out of the pocket. Is that normal when firing just a primer in a case without powder or bullet or am I gonna have big problems when I add powder and a bullet? Holding off till I get a few replies, Thanks in advance.

One more thing, I had 2 boxes of hornady that I deprimed to get ready for when I have enough brass to tumble and I had the depriming pin get stuck and pull out of the die twice. I was able to knock it out both times of course and put it back in the die but this is the first time this has happened. Is this a usual problem you just have to deal with now and then?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Depriming pin first: You have the wrong size pin. Call whoever made your dies, and ask for the proper pin for Grendel, which is the same as 6 PPC.

The primer backing out of the pocket like that I've never heard about. I'm sure one of our more experienced reloaders can give us a handle.

It might help to know what dies you are using.

Comment

The primer backing out is normal when there is no charge, it won't happen with a normal load. As Bill said, the primer pin is a standard size, they make a smaller one for PPC cases. Or, you can turn it down by chucking pin in a drill and using sand paper to reduce the diameter as it spins.
      Bob

Comment

I am using Lee dies. Sounds like an easy fix then. Good to hear about the primers, I will try and get some loaded this weekend then. Thank yall very much!

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Matt You want to seat the primers until they bottom out in the case. If the anvil in the primer is not against the bottom of the primer pocket you will get inconsistent ignition.

Comment

New Lapua brass is nice, and I use it, but if you want to resize first then take the cases and deburr and chamfer them then you will get less brass shavings in your reloader, which may be more coming from the bullet than the brass case. The next time they are reloaded they will catch less. Sometimes I'll shortcut this a little and if they look round I'll deburr and chamfer before I size them, but not if they're dinged. I have to keep the Lapua necks lubed more than other calibers I've used because they will quickly begin dragging in my resizing dies and cause some outside brass shavings on the necks. I don't lube the entire case with new brass as it doesn't touch the resizing die. Obviously this doesn't apply to once fired brass which does require full lube. Just what I do, others may have a better idea.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mattw View Post
              Started with resizing my brand new lapua brass as I had noticed a few got dinged around the mouth during shipping/manufacturing. 40 of 50 seemed to catch a little and be tight while resizing even with lubed cases. I noticing a few brass shavings had fallen around the press and on the shell holder, maybe 30 flakes after I was done. I then noticed a few burrs on a few of the cases at the mouth. Is this normal and I just never noticed it before?
              Try to keep your sizing die clean from the brass shavings.

Similar to what all die manufacturers recommend, this is from Forster:

Chips that result from trimming and deburring, or a case that has not been deburred, are especially damaging to die interiors. These chips can become embedded in the die interior. The resulting brass against brass effect “galls” or wears away minute pieces of brass on the case, and gets worse with each use of the die.
              Source: http://www.forsterproducts.com/clien...structions.pdf
              Drifter

Comment

• samalama76

With out powder and a projectile, your primer will usually back out a bit. It does this normally during discharge, but the resulting back pressure will push the cartridge against the bolt face essentially reseating the primer, since there is no real back pressure when firing the primer only, it will not re-seat the primer. You can actually get a pretty accurate headspace measurement from how far the primer is protruding from the pocket when shot in that manner.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X