Why are Sierra 123s expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Sierra 123s expensive?

Can somebody tell me why Sierra 6.5mm 123gr Matchkings are so much more expensive than their 120gr Matchkings?

I think the tooling on the 120's has been amortized more fully because it has been out for longer, also there is a higher scrap rate for the more VLD designs because nose damage by the nose punch during ejection from the die.
    There is also a factor of demand and supply, all Sierra bullets are more expensive because more people want them than their competiton. The same is true on a smaller scale for the 123 because it has a higher ballistic coefficient more people want them than the 120. However in my opinion the 120 is a better bullet.
    Bob

Comment

Other than price, why would 120s be better (with their lower BC) ?

Comment

For most people its easier to get the 120 Sierra's to shoot well compared to the 123's. The VLD design of the 123's tends to reak havoc for some people trying to find the best seating depth, but the tangent ogive of the 120's is much more forgiving.

Comment

Yes, like ttrmike said,
          The 120 is in general more accurate because it is less demanding of optimum jump distance than the 123. It is just like the .223 in which a Sierra 77 grain Match King can be shot at almost any seating depth and provide very good accuracy, the 80 grain Sierra Match King will shoot just as well but only at specific jump nodes.
          Bob

Comment

I had no idea. Now it's starting to make sense. Thank you.

Comment

• samalama76

I think it is because 123's are more popular so they capitalize on that by charging more, its not like it some abstract weight that they have to buy new equipment for. It's just a matter of demand and profit.

Comment

• Glockzilla

Supply & demand. The 260rem guys prefer the 123.

Comment

Working...
                X