• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

slight shoulder crushing when reloading

Every now and then I get cases that crush slightly in the shoulder when seating bullets. My die is set fine and isn't set too deep.It doesn't' seem to matter which brand of case that I'm using. It isn't crushed bad but it won't go all the way in my case gauge and I end up having to pull my bullets. It doesn't happen a lot but I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen. I'm using redding dies.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
    Every now and then I get cases that crush slightly in the shoulder when seating bullets. My die is set fine and isn't set too deep.It doesn't' seem to matter which brand of case that I'm using. It isn't crushed bad but it won't go all the way in my case gauge and I end up having to pull my bullets. It doesn't happen a lot but I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen. I'm using redding dies.
    Montana:

I assume you are talking about resized brass? If so, your expander button isn't opening the necks enough or your die is sizing the necks down way too much and the expander button can't open them up enough due to spring back.

Lee dies perhaps?

LR1955

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I agree with LR1955.

Assuming the seating die is set appropriately, the issue is probably excessive neck tension. If outside neck diameter measures below 0.285", that's potentially the issue. Otherwise, you might want to recheck how the seating die is set up.

Hornady can usually tolerate a little less than 0.285", but Lapua can get a little finicky that tight.
      Drifter

Comment

I'm betting the guys above are right if you're sure it's not set to deep. My Redding expander measures right at .264 if you have calipers or a micrometer handy to check yours. It's possible your die shipped with the wrong button on it. And want to say but don't remember exactly that on my dies a sized but not expanded case measures .254 ID so you could check that as well to see if yours are coming out smaller than that. You might also want to put a chamfer into the necks or your cases if your seating flat base bullets. There's a chance they may be hanging up on the lip of the case and crushing it a bit before slipping in.

Comment

Do you trim your cases? Does the "Redding" seating die have a taper crimp? Keeping your cases trimmed to a unified length may resolve this problem. Also, you should always chamfer and de-burr trimmed brass!

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

My dies are all good. My outside case neck diameter measures right at .290" after sizing. My seating die is not too deep,( The first thing I checked ). My expander measures right at .262". Could this be a little narrow???? If it isn't I might have to try a different chamfer tool. Any recommendations. Montana

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Are you crimping? You may have the seating die body set too low. Back it off until it isn't even touching the case mouth. I've had the same thing happen with other rounds if I had it set to crimp and tried to crimp a case that was a bit too long.

Like Bwild said, make sure the cases are all the same length or simply do not crimp. It usually isn't necessary with the Grendel anyway.

Will

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                My dies are all good. My outside case neck diameter measures right at .290" after sizing. My seating die is not too deep,( The first thing I checked ). My expander measures right at .262". Could this be a little narrow???? If it isn't I might have to try a different chamfer tool. Any recommendations. Montana
                Montana:

Seating die 'not' being too deep may be the problem. You know how the Redding dies are made and if the die isn't deep enough there may not be enough support on the shoulder / neck area when seating. Honestly though, I have used seating dies that did not contour to the cartridge (RCBS 'Match' Seating die) and have never crushed a shoulder when seating. Not even when the neck was tight.

So, no support to the neck combined with way too much resistance means the junction between the shoulder and neck gets crushed. Those are the elements of the problem. You ought to be able to figure it out from there.

LR1955

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

LR1955 , I'll look into it ' Thank you and to everyone else , Montana

Comment

Working...
                  X