Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wisconsinteacher

123 Amax and 7.62 brass

I will be reloading some 123 AMaxs and I have fireformed brass ready to go. How much 8208 would be max weight? Is 8208 the way to go with 7.62 brass?
  • RangerRick

The 7.62 fire formed brass has slightly less volume than the Grendel brass. I haven't seen much more pressure in it, though, with similar powder loads.

The biggest factor is that you won't be able to get quite as much powder in the case.

8208 might be a god choice for that reason, but I don't now whats it's density is compared to other powders. Just back down half a grain from a safe Grendel brass load and work up being careful not to compress.

The 7.62 brass tends to fail by the primer pocket loosening up rather than neck splits, so if you want to preserve your brass you may want to load on the light side anyway.

RR

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

What would be a base load for regular brass?

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Teacher What I found with the fire-formed Win 7.62x39 cases is that they have 2 less grains capacity of water volume. If you don't load them with a 2 gr reduction you will be lucky to get 2 or 3 loadings before they won't hold a primer.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wisconsinteacher View Post
          What would be a base load for regular brass?
          I have notes at the house on 123s and 8208. If I remember this evening I'll post them.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

After looking at Hodgdon's webpage, they have 123 bullets and 25.5/28.5 grains of powder. So I am thinking if I start with 23.5 and work up to 26.5 I should be safe when using 7.62 brass. Am I thinking right or am I off on this one?

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

That looks like a good starting point.

Comment

Working...
              X