Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanest reloading recipes

Hi,

What is the cleanest burning primer/powder combination you guys have found? So far, I have only fired the Wolf ammo, which performs pretty well in my rifle, but is very dirty. Since I have the Wolf cases, I'd like to start with those. I have the 123 SST to get me going, it seemed like a good all around bullet.

Thanks!
  • RangerRick

So far for me AA2520 and AA2640 have been the cleanest. Winchester 748 is good but dirtier than the 2520. LeveRevolution seems to be very dirty too.

RR

Comment

• terrywick4

8208 is not very clean either, Shoots well but is pretty dirty. If I switch to this I will probably go to a piston system.

Comment

Thanks!

I was really surprised at how dirty the Wolf Gold is. I shoot mostly suppressed, and everything gets dirty a lot faster. Every little bit helps!

Comment

I'm loading RL-15 with the 120gr. V-max's. This is from a 24" barrel with long gas tube. Pretty clean for me.

Comment

For all the powders I have played with; these were the cleanest: RL-15, PowerPro 2000 MR, CFE223, XBR (in that order) 8208 XBR is not so bad as long as it's not heavily compressed at near max loads. BTW, I have been using large primer brass with S&B and Tula 7.62 NATO primers.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

H4895 is very clean and very accurate, but doesn't produce high velocities. AA2520 is also clean-burning.
              Drifter

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I have used RL-15 with slightly slower speeds -than TAC, for many plinker loads yet very clean brass , 8208 is clean-yet as bwild said,, not over the heavily compressed loads. The brass starts off minimally sooty--then gets-looks dirtier than need be. More of a sign -to back off a bit. I like it. Check primers-the higher press. shows up close to the soot darkening, and then it intensifies. Keep an eye on everything. - X-term, settles & flows so well, ahhhhh but it trully is a stinky one-good speeds tho. Works well in MN., summer to winter temp extremes-so does 8208. I tried IMR 3031 recently, for the 3k test., it's only a notch up from RL 15 speed wise.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear people say 8208 is dirty. My son and I just shot 1150 rounds of it this week and the cases look very clean to me, in fact I think the cleanest of any powder I've used in the Grendel or .223. I get almost no soot on the case body, only the neck.
                  I use the stainless steel wet case cleaning method and was thinking of skipping it for this batch they were so clean.
                  Of course with any powder there will be nodes that are cleaner than others. I've never correlated this to accuracy or levels of compression, maybe I haven't paid enough attention. In general ball powders are dirtier than extruded. Vitivouri powders are noted for their clean burning attributes, but I can tell no difference between N140 and Reloader 15. I suspect they are the same powder, they both come from Sweden and perform so similarly that I have to wonder. But for me the 8208 is cleaner than either Reloader 15 or N135, N140, N540.

Bob

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

This has been my experience with 8208. Little soot on the cases and easy to clean out of the bore.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Hmmm.....XBR runs clean for me as well. BLC-2 was the dirtiest powder I've tried, with 2520, TAC, and Xterminator all pretty clean in comparison. I've put 500+ rounds down the tube of a rifle, without cleaning, with XBR and had no issues, and minimal, if any, degradation in accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                      X