Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Elk loads

I tried a search first so as not to bother the herd, but my search had so many messages to go through I decided to start this string.

For those who have used the Grendel to hunt Elk, what have you come up with as the best load for a 20" barrel?

Thanks;
    Eric
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have not used it on any game myself yet but the 129 Hornady SST comes highly recommended. The last time I loaded it I used 27.5 gr of 8208. Good groups but not as good as the AMAX. Good enough for hunting though.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

whatever shoots best in your rifle, and make a good shot.

Comment

• vanguard138

The 123 AMAX does real well in my 18" but I was not sure if it would be adequate for elk. Also I hope to get a light weight 20" put together forward hunting. I am not concerned about shot placement, I get the shakes after I shoot, lol. I do not dare climb out of somethong too soon...

Comment

For heavy game, I'm a penetration believer. I'd use 120gr Barnes TTSX. If you hit a bone, no problem.

Comment

120 gr Swift A-Frame
            130 gr Swift Scirroco II (Alexander Arms has loaded ammunition)
            125 gr Nosler Partition
            120 gr Barnes TSX (Alexander Arms has loaded ammunition)

All get good reviews at MidwayUSA.com

Comment

Here's a great pic of a lady who bagged an Elk with the 125gr Nolser Partition. Is it just me, or does that rifle look bad as crap?

Comment

is bad as crap a good thing? haha. Truthfully, you can kill anything with about anything, shot placement is the key here.

Comment

In case it helps the discussion I e-mailed a couple questions to Hornady and one of their techs responded:

"The SST will be the best bullet for the 6.5 Grendel. It opens faster than the InterBond. You should be able to open the bullet at 1200 fps for good expansion. The InterBond will need around 1500 fps impact to make it open all the way."

Comment

I have found that bullets that open quickly and expand a lot do not penetrate as far through tuf tissue as bullets that expand less. Somthing to do with increased surface area causing increased friction through tissue no doubt. The key is shot placement-and picking a bullet that will penetrate as far as the vitals. Were I ever lucky enough to hunt elk I would go with a 100 or 120 gr tsx. If the 100 or 125 gr Partition or 130gr Siccorro shot better in my rifle I would go with that.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Here's a great pic of a lady who bagged an Elk with the 125gr Nolser Partition. Is it just me, or does that rifle look bad as crap?

That camo job on the rifle does look good but its the $hit eating grin that speaks volumes to me.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I'm digging that pattern too. It looks rather spiffy!
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• vanguard138

Thanks for the responses. That is a nice looking camo pattern and the grin says it all.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

If you look close at the mag well there is a bolt face logo. I wonder what her or her SO's arfcom screen name is.
                            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                            X