Hornady 6.5 Grendel Brass, Hornady 123gr A-Max, CCI 450 and IMR 8208-XB, 24" barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady 6.5 Grendel Brass, Hornady 123gr A-Max, CCI 450 and IMR 8208-XB, 24" barrel

Was wondering if anybody out there might be reloading for a 24" AR with a 1:8 twist using the components in the subject line?:

Hornady 6.5 Grendel Brass, Hornady 123gr A-Max, CCI 450 and IMR 8208-XB

If so, how much 8208 are you going with and how's it performing? Between 100 and 300 yards?

Apologies in advance if this is a repeat post but couldn't find anything specific to a 24" barrel.

Thanks!

Chrono'd low 2400's with 28.0 8208/123 Amax/ unfired Lapua brass/RP 7 1/2 primer at 40d/high humidity. Room for improvement for sure, to be further researched this weekend. Just recv'd Hornady brass today, will know more by Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by bobke View Post
      Chrono'd low 2400's with 28.0 8208/123 Amax/ unfired Lapua brass/RP 7 1/2 primer at 40d/high humidity. Room for improvement for sure, to be further researched this weekend. Just recv'd Hornady brass today, will know more by Monday.
      Thanks Bobke, I was thinking I'd start at 28 also and worked up from there. I have to remember I'm using a magnum primer CCI-450!

Comment

Originally posted by dgp1000 View Post
        Thanks Bobke, I was thinking I'd start at 28 also and worked up from there. I have to remember I'm using a magnum primer CCI-450!
        I'm not sure I'd start at 28. Hogdon lists 28.5 as the max load for a 123 SMK and 8208 (primer not noted). I started at 26.5 and worked up to 28.4 and then back to 27.8 which seems to work best in my 18".

Comment

24" Shilen Barrel W/Brake. Loading w/IMR XBR8208, Lapua brass, & 200yrs zero. Looks like 28.7gns is my sweet spot. 2565-2565-2568-2571-2575fps W/.5in groups. Might try 28.8. But 29.0gr I was starting loose my nice group. -2.25 MOA @ 100YRS-ZERO @ 200YRS- 300YRS 3.0 MOA- 400YRS 6.5 MOA. Pushing out to 600-800yrs sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Retooferab

We must be thinking a like. I just got some 123 amaxes to load with 8208. Was wondering where I was going to start. My 18" BHW barrel liked 8208 and 120 grain sierras. I haven't chronoed any but they shoot into a real nice small hole.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

My load for that component combo is 28.3. I get 2550 FPS from a 20" satern barrel.

I started at 27.5 and worked up. 28.6 was a little hot but all sets grouped well. I've shot this out to 1000 yds with good results.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                24" Shilen Barrel W/Brake. Loading w/IMR XBR8208, Lapua brass, & 200yrs zero. Looks like 28.7gns is my sweet spot. 2565-2565-2568-2571-2575fps W/.5in groups. Might try 28.8. But 29.0gr I was starting loose my nice group. -2.25 MOA @ 100YRS-ZERO @ 200YRS- 300YRS 3.0 MOA- 400YRS 6.5 MOA. Pushing out to 600-800yrs sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.
                Are you using a mag primer? Seems like you should be getting a little more velocity with that stiff of a load in a 24" barrel. I was getting 2580 avg vel from 28.6 in a 20". Could be just differences in the chronograph.

Seems like you have that load dialed in. I wouldn't mess with it for just a few more FPS. Plus, you really shorten your brass life when pushing the loads.
                Last edited by txgunner00; 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

I have been using 28.0. I had a group recently that measured at .450" at 100. This has been my best with the Grendel.

Comment

Thanks for all th input guys. I've decided to work up sets of 10 rounds starting at 27.8 all way up to 28.8. Unortunately my "local" rifle range is 45 miles away so I won't be able to make multiple trips this weekend but plan on spending a lot of time up there next weekend.

Is anybody else using Magnum primers?

Comment

I am about to be loading the same case/bullet/primer/powder combination for my 20" LW very soon. I'll post my results asap.

I'm loading some 748 and 8208 w/PPU brass and 120 NBTs currently however.

Comment

O.K. Went out Sunday, & pushed it out to 600yrs. Smacking steel with every shot. Adding to post, 28.8gn looks better then 28.7gn. Primer is CCI 450. Thanks guys for all the past info/saving me a lot of time.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dgp1000 View Post
                          Thanks for all th input guys. I've decided to work up sets of 10 rounds starting at 27.8 all way up to 28.8. Unortunately my "local" rifle range is 45 miles away so I won't be able to make multiple trips this weekend but plan on spending a lot of time up there next weekend.

Is anybody else using Magnum primers?
                          I am. You don't necessarily need them but the consensus is they help improve burn rate consistency. They also tend to produce a little more velocity.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                            O.K. Went out Sunday, & pushed it out to 600yrs. Smacking steel with every shot. Adding to post, 28.8gn looks better then 28.7gn. Primer is CCI 450. Thanks guys for all the past info/saving me a lot of time.
                            case head pull.jpg

Be careful pushing the limits. This is what 28.6 grains of 8208 behind 123 SMKs got me. No signs of pressure for 3-4 loadings then this. There are many variables and your load may be OK in your rifle. Just watch it closely. Good luck.

Comment

Guys, Could you post you C.O.L's for your loads please? I'm going with 2.245".

Comment

Working...
                              X