Anyone come up with a action Cycling Subsonic Load yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone come up with a action Cycling Subsonic Load yet

Its been a little while since anyone posted on this so i thought I would ask again

Anyone come up with a action cycling 6.5 Grendel Subsonic Load yet ?

I itching to shoot some coyotes with the grendel QUIETLY

Thanks

Smoke
    Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2012, 02:12 PM.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm very close with 13.3 grains of AA2015 behind 160 grain Hornady round noses. I'm using fired formed IMI brass and Rem 9 1/2 primers.

There was another member here that said a similar load was cycling his upper but I believe he was running a 18" mid length gas system. I'm running a 20" rifle length and the load throws the bolt enough to eject about 50% of the time but not enough to pick up the next round. I might bump the charge again but I'm already averaging 1050 fps. Once the paperwork for my 30 cal. can clears I hope the increased pressure through the gas system will be enough to cycle it reliably. Unfortunately I have about 6 months to wait to find out. If anyone in the Austin area has a 30 cal or 6.8 can and is wiling to let me try it maybe I can test the load sooner.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

FYI- at 100 yds, point of impact for the SS loads is 18" lower than the point of aim of my full power loads.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

TXgunner
        Thanks for the heads up .. i have a 18" mid length AA Barrel and a 30 cal can .. So i will try your load .. And get back to you .. may take me a few days to get the projectiles

Have you done any accurecy testing with this load?

Comment

I will try Lapua and Hornady 6.5 brass and CCI std primers and mag primers ..

Thanks
          Smoke

Comment

TXgunner
            have you tryed H322 .. According to the hodgdon burn rate chart its next to
            AA2015.. Just curious as I have alot of H322
            any reason not to try it like heat sensitive or not good for reduced loads?

Thanks
            Smoke

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I have not tried H322. I don't know why you shouldn't be able to use it. With sub-sonic loads you need to start at a mild to weak standard load and work down. If you start low and work up, you risk getting bullets stuck- don't ask me how I know this.

I use 7.62 x 39 brass because the reduced capacity increases load density thus helping burn consistency. If you don't have any you should still be OK with the 160 grn projs as they extend deep into the case. I've actually started using non-fireformed 7.62 brass recently. Not only does it improve load density even further but it also fire forms the brass for other loads I use for hunting.

If you use Grendel brass I would consider drilling the flash hole out and dedicating that brass to subs. This is another advantage to 7.62 brass as it uses a LR primer and has a much larger flash hole.

Accuracy has been decent- 1-2 inches at 100.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the Tips especially the Flash hole Idea..
                So far I have developed Subs for 308, 458 and 338 lapua and in all I use cases dedicated to those Sub loads only..
                So far trailboss has been the answer for All them but all were bolt guns so not need to up the pressures to cycle

Thinking about trying H335 as well.. Will keep you posted

Thanks
                Smoke

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I use Trailboss on .223 but it didn't work for me in the Grendel. Couldn't get over 800 fps even with a compressed load.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I've made a few attempts to develop a subsonic load for my Grendel (20" Satern) with out much success. I started using 140 grain Hornady spire points, trail boss, fire formed Winchester 7.62 cases and Federal LR magnum match primers. My first charge of 5.5g resulted in a stuck bullet. Second attempt with 8 grains of TB

Here's a thread I started a while back. Good info from other members.

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

I'm just thinking out loud here a bit. But has anyone tried using a lighter buffer and a loser spring?

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the old Thread .. confirms some of my thinking

Ok I have 160 Grainers arriving wed.. I will try H335 13.4 grns using a 30 cal Can ..
                        That should give more back pressure ..to the load
                        again I have an 18" AA barrel and Mid length gas system

Thanks

Smoke

Comment

• samalama76

What twist rate are you guys using with the 160 grainers and are they stabilizing them?

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smoke View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up on the old Thread .. confirms some of my thinking

Ok I have 160 Grainers arriving wed.. I will try H335 13.4 grns using a 30 cal Can ..
                            That should give more back pressure ..to the load
                            again I have an 18" AA barrel and Mid length gas system

Thanks

Smoke
                            It will be interesting to see if it works. SS loads that will cycle a gas gun require a fine balance between enough pressure to throw the bolt reliably but not too much to push the bullet over the speed of sound. Timing is everything and each rifle is different. To be successful you have to match the pressure curve to the gas port location, gas port size, buffer weight, buffer spring tension, etc, etc. This is why you typically need faster burning powders for SS loads. Don't get discouraged of you have to make several attempts.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by samalama76 View Post
                              What twist rate are you guys using with the 160 grainers and are they stabilizing them?
                              My barrel is 1:8.75.

Comment

Working...
                              X