New Powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Powders?

I have been using 2520 for 123 gr bullets and tac for 107/108. Any new powers out there? I know that one of the superformance powders came out. No load data on it for the grendel. Anyone tried it? Any other new powders out there?

I can't believe the forum has been back up for a month and I did not find it ??

Consider IMR 8208XBR. Not real new, but it sure works well in my rig. Temperature stable too. 29.5gr kicks 100gr Nosler BTs out of the tube just over 2800fps and that was with temps in the low 40s. That was with Remington 7 1/2s lighting it off. Start around 28.5 and work up from there.

Hoot

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Regarding IMR 8208, I like the powder, but it doesn't seem very temp stable in my experience (despite the marketing).

Leverevolution has shown promise regarding velocity in my initial tests, but more experimentation is necessary. My guess is that Superformance is a little slow for the 6.5 G, but that's pure speculation on my part.
      Last edited by Drifter; 04-05-2011, 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling
      Drifter

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Drifter
        You will need to post a report on the LVR powder. On the Hodgdon site it is next to BLC2 on the burn rate chart. http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html You are right about Superformance, it is slower than H4831 and would not work in the Grendel

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
          Regarding IMR 8208, I like the powder, but it doesn't seem very temp stable in my experience (despite the marketing).

Leverevolution has shown promise regarding velocity in my initial tests, but more experimentation is necessary. My guess is that Superformance is a little slow for the 6.5 G, but that's pure speculation on my part.
          I second the call for the LVR report. I'd be interested as well. WRT the 8208 and temperature. I was parroting what IMR said. I haven't had a chance to test my cool weather loads in warmer weather yet. It does light off easily though.

Hoot

Comment

I had not seen the burn rate charts with those two new powders in them. That version of superformance will be too slow. I hope they release one close to what Hornady uses for their Grendel ammo here soon.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Leverevolution powder

WARNING: Loading data shown below has not been pressure tested, and may be dangerous. Using the data is at your own risk. Always start with reduced loads and work up carefully, watching for pressure signs!!!

I haven't had the opportunity to do any extensive testing, but loaded up a few rounds using Leverevolution to run through the chronograph.

Barrels is a 20" Satern HBAR chambered for 6.5 Grendel.

AA 123gr Lapua Scenar factory loads clock at 2575 fps 10' from the muzzle.

For the velocity test, I used AA (Lapua) once-fired brass with CCI #41 primers and 123gr Scenars. Here are the averages for just a few shots:

31.0 gr- ~2620 fps

32.0 gr- ~2680 fps

The loads were seated to 2.260" COL.

Primers were a little flat in the center, but edges were rounded. Pressure seemed fine in my rifle, but difficult to know for sure.

I have not done any accuracy testing (but did get some good accuracy from the powder with another cartridge.) If the accuracy isn't there, the extra velocity means nothing to me. Of course, I'll share additional results when available.

With seemingly more Grendel shooters finding this forum back up every day, I'm hoping others might have tested Leverevolution powder and will share their results as well.

Please practice safe reloading!
              Last edited by Drifter; 04-06-2011, 12:25 AM.
              Drifter

Comment

• Dogue
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Great info and thanks for sharing Drifter! I had high hopes for the Superformance when I heard about it last year but with LVR being right there with W748 and BL-C(2) it does look like a better fit for the 6.5G. Based on the load chart for those 2 powders I'd think somewhere in the 30-31.5 range with the 123g bullets might hold some promise.
                Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Old 2520 powder

Originally posted by wrsteve View Post
                  I had not seen the burn rate charts with those two new powders in them. That version of superformance will be too slow. I hope they release one close to what Hornady uses for their Grendel ammo here soon.
                  I still have some of the old AA 2520 and I use 29.6 grains with the secnar 123 bullet for a velocity of 2623 fps, oal 2.260", cci mag primer ...I shoot a 24" overwatch

Comment

Drifter thanks for the information. I have been thinking about trying the leverlution powder but haven't had the time yet.

Comment

LeverEvolution Powder

As stated before: WARNING: Loading data shown below has not been pressure tested, and may be dangerous. Using the data is at your own risk. Always start with reduced loads and work up carefully, watching for pressure signs!!!

I wanted to try this powder with the Barnes TTSX bullets. I loaded progressive loads and watched for pressure signs, but I have no means of testing pressure. I was using a Sabre upper with 16 inch barrel. I loaded to the front groove allowing a crimp if one is wanted, but did not crimp. Lapua new brass, and WSR primers. The COAL was 2.245 up to 29 grains, and 2.260 for the 30 grain compressed load. I chronographed at 10 feet. The temperature was 68 degrees F. The loads and velocities are as follows:

27gr 2350fps

28gr 2394fps

29gr 2480fps

30gr 2530fps, and this load showed the very first pressure sign.

The pressure sign was just a slight ejector scar. The primer was no different than a factory load, and the case showed no expansion compared to any other load, and I checked every base.

The standard deviation between rounds between 28 and 29 gr was amazingly small, from 2 to 5 fps.

I haven't checked for accuracy yet, and I want to try this in my Thompson G2 Contender.

Comment

That's too bad. I hoped it would perform better than 8208 xbr. Was that the 100, 120 or 130gr TTSX? The other day when I was walking up with 8208 and got to the point where I went one step too far, the SD on it dropped to something like 4. That's interesting as well. I wonder if that is a normal part of any powder's behavior. I'm usually the person who is not hell bent on the highest velocity possible, so the other day was only the second time I ever noticed that.

Hoot
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

It was the 120 gr TTSX, which I wanted to outperform the 110 Gr TTSX that I shoot in my 6.8 SPCII. I took them to the range and sighted in my new 24 inch barrel, which is not in the optimal upper for it. I'm going to replace that when the one I want comes into stock. This was a gas impingement gun, rifle length tube, as opposed to my 16 inch gun which is a gas piston gun. It grouped really well, at 27 through 30 grains, and showed no pressure signs in any of the rounds in the gas impingement gun, but when I chronographed them, I actually got 40fps slower than my 16 inch gun did at the 29 grain load, which was odd to me. I don't know if the pressure is being vented in the gas impingement long barrel, versus no venting in the 16 inch gas piston gun. I'd take any thoughts on this. All charges were individually weighed, but different days and a hotter day with the longer barrel. My 14 inch TC contender did only 2194fps with the 29 grain load, so this gun may take a faster powder. I may redo this as it all doesn't fit well.

Comment

Also, I've been using WSR primers, not magnum, as I had in the past subscribed to the theory that magnum powders didn't make a difference below 60 gr powder. I am questioning that now, and wonder if it will make a difference in this powder.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                              Also, I've been using WSR primers, not magnum, as I had in the past subscribed to the theory that magnum powders didn't make a difference below 60 gr powder. I am questioning that now, and wonder if it will make a difference in this powder.
                              Use caution with the (new) copper colored WSR primers. They have a softer surface than the old ones and there have been reports of slam fires.

Comment

Working...
                              X