Kreiger vs. Satern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreiger vs. Satern

I have heard more about Satern barrels than I have about Kreiger. I am looking for some reviews of these two and how do you think they do vs. Alexander Arms?

Looking for 24 inch SS Fluted 5R barrel cut rifling 1:9 twist - opinions.

They both are top-line barrels. Kreigers have the reputation for longer accuracy life, and I'm not sure how Satern's compare in that regard.

Comment

just something to keep in mind. There are more barrel brand names than there are barrel manufactures......Most firearm manufactures don't make their own barrels. They design them and then contract to one of the manufacturers to have them made to spec. point is, just make sure you know who the actual manufacturer is when comparing. you might find that you'd be comparing apples to apples. Personally(dozens), Accross the board, not just in AR-15s, I have found that price and quality do not always go hand in hand. but there are some general principles behind an accurate barrel. I'd concentrate more on the charecteristics of the barrel rather than who makes it. Things such as heavy or light? chrome lined or not? S.S. or carbon steel? cryo or no cryo? these are the things that have a much greater impact on accuracy as oppsed to manufacturer.......except for shillens..........Shillens suck!......just my two sense

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Neither would be a wrong choice. Both are premium cut-rifled barrels that will likely be very accurate. (And both are manufacturers and not just brand names.)

In my experience, Krieger barrels tend to clean slightly easier. But I've built 3 Grendels using Satern barrels, and I don't know how a barrel could shoot any better. They have been that good.

Though my perception has evolved, I've come to appreciate the Grendel chamber over the 264 LBC (only variant that I've tried). Thus, if only one of the two barrel brands mentioned is available with the Grendel chamber, that would be the deciding factor for me.
        Drifter

Comment

• COLDSTEEL77

I have a 28" dual fluted satern barrel and it is extremely accurate, I agree with Drifter in this aspect. I don't see how a barrel could perform any better. The only problem is satern doesn't make the 6.5 grendel barrel anymore, they switched to the .264 LBC.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

First pic below is from ~1 year ago with a 20" Satern using factory ammo at 100 yards:

Shot these two 3-shot groups last week back-to-back with two different Satern barrels (19.5" & 18") using 123gr A-max handloads:

Friend shot the 18" next at 600 yards on steel and his 3-shot group measured ~2.6".

All three barrels have Grendel chambers. Groups shown shot from sandbags.
            Drifter

Comment

• COLDSTEEL77

Here's a group i shot at 100 yards with mine:

Comment

Satern and Krieger are both broach cut rifled barrels. I own two Satern and three Krieger barrels. I can't tell the differnce from an accuracy stand point. But what I've learned is that broach cut barrels out last button rifled barrels by approximately two to one. I've also learned that quality button rifled barrels like Wilson, or Shilen are capable of equal accuracy, however they will erode more quickly by approximately twice the speed that cut rifle barrels do. The end result if you are a high volume shooter is the need to change out button rifle barrels at twice the frequency of cut rifle barrels.
                Which barrel is best, depends on your shooting cadence, some national match shooters use Wilson button rifle barrels and win national level competitions doing so, they reason they will put a fresh barrel on each season, use early matches to get their no wind zero's and then change again at the end of the season. This way they avoid going into the national matches in August with a new barrel and less established zero's.
                I've mostly shot Krieger barrels that last twice as long and change them out as soon as they will no longer hold x ring at 600 yards. But I've been beat by competitors using Wilson barrels that cost about half as much.
                It really depends upon your shooting schedule, which philosophy will work best for you.
                I will say that both my Wilson and Krieger and Satern barrels will shoot less than 1/2 MOA, but if m back was up against the wall and I had to pick one, it would be a Krieger.
                For the record, I do own and shoot PacNor, Wilson, Krieger, Schnieder and Shilen barrels, they are all of equal quality and initial quality, but as round go down range the Krieger's continue to perform at a level the others fall short of.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

The other thing to keep in mind is that Satern sells complete barrels with headspaced bolts. Whereas with Kreigers you have to have the blank finished by another source unless you are shooting 223.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by COLDSTEEL77 View Post
                    I have a 28" dual fluted satern barrel and it is extremely accurate, I agree with Drifter in this aspect. I don't see how a barrel could perform any better. The only problem is satern doesn't make the 6.5 grendel barrel anymore, they switched to the .264 LBC.
                    They just announced they will be starting production of them again.

Bob,

How do the Satern and Krieger barrels compare in terms of accuracy life? Is the need for gunsmithing worth it to choose a Kreiger over a Satern?
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The accuracy of both Satern and Kreiger barrels is pretty equal for accuracy life as far as I can tell. I did see one Satern barrel give up the ghost at a low round count but I would consider that an anamoly not at trend. I don't know what that competitor did or didn't do to the barrel. I would consider them equal.
                      Bob

Comment

• Eric M.
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2015

I'm
                        NRA Life Member
                        NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
                        NRA Pistol Instructor
                        40yr. Minnesota Firearms Instructor

Comment

• terrywick4
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          Neither would be a wrong choice. Both are premium cut-rifled barrels that will likely be very accurate. (And both are manufacturers and not just brand names.)

In my experience, Krieger barrels tend to clean slightly easier. But I've built 3 Grendels using Satern barrels, and I don't know how a barrel could shoot any better. They have been that good.

Though my perception has evolved, I've come to appreciate the Grendel chamber over the 264 LBC (only variant that I've tried). Thus, if only one of the two barrel brands mentioned is available with the Grendel chamber, that would be the deciding factor for me.
                          Satern uses to have Grendel chamber???

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                            Satern uses to have Grendel chamber???
                            Yes, Satern used to make Saami spec'd chambers. Then either them or PT&G came up with the Grendel II chamber. But there cut rifled barrels can shoot. I had one of the first barrels by them and was stupid and sold it. Since it shot very well!
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Satern used to use verified reamers obtained from AA. Those barrels shoot lights out.

Shooting bwaites' Satern barreled Grendel's is like threading the needle.

As to the different barrel types, the steel they use is what really leads to longer life versus shorter. Krieger's and Bartlein use a much harder stainless that is more difficult to machine, but lasts very long for barrel life.

The Shilens have a very soft stainless that is easier to bore for as true of a hole as possible, but will wear much faster once you start putting on thousands of rounds.

However, with 6.5 Grendel, since chamber pressure is so low compared to a lot of other center fire rifle cartridges, you don't gas-check the throat like you do on a .260 Rem, .300 Win Mag, etc.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X