Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fried Chicken Blowout

Hodgdon BL-C(2) vs Accurate 2520 powders

So I'm embarking on reloading 6.5 Grendel for the first time. I've reloaded about 12,000 rounds of .223 with H335 powder with very good results. But my .223 reloading has been for short range defensive training not for long distance shooting. I'm planning on getting into some Sporting Rifle matches that range from 250 to 875 yards. I'm trying to maximize my short 18" Saber barrel and get out that far. I'll be doing most of my shooting from 4000-5000 feet with temps that range from 0 to 90 degrees. My chosen bullet will be either a 123gr Hornady AMax or a 123gr Lapula Scenar depending on the price I can get them at.

I think I've narrowed down to powder to either the Hodgdon BL-C(2) or the Accurate 2520. I've heard of issues with the 2520 related to temperature so my extreme temps in Colorado may be an issue. I can get the BL-C(2) at an excellent price and it appears to work well with the heavier bullets so I'm not sure which way to go. Does anyone have suggestions regarding my choice or if I should go a different way?

Thanks!!
  • Fried Chicken Blowout

One more thing... Looking on a burn chart the H335 and the BL-C(2) appear to be very close. Why is H335 not a good powder for 123gr bullets in 6.5 Grendel but Alexander Arms lists BL-C(2) as a workable powder at that weight. Please educate me on this issue...

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

My observation: H335 seems OK for lighter bullets, but you'll be at a velocity disadvantage against AA2520 with 120's. Can't comment about temp sensitivity, as I've not seen it.

Comment

• cornholio1

BLC-2 works good. Before my rifle was freefloated I used to shoot 1 MOA with BLC2. Now it has much looser groups. I am going to lessen the BLC-2 loads and try H335 for the 120 Hotcors.

H335 works wonders with 95vmax

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
          One more thing... Looking on a burn chart the H335 and the BL-C(2) appear to be very close. Why is H335 not a good powder for 123gr bullets in 6.5 Grendel but Alexander Arms lists BL-C(2) as a workable powder at that weight. Please educate me on this issue...
          FCB:

Could be that AA didn't test H-335. However, some powders seem to work fine with the Grendel and others don't. Reloader 10X is an example that seems to produce huge pressures when according to a burn rate chart it should be a good powder choice.

With most cartridges a guy can use burn rate charts pretty reliably. We found out with the Grendel that the use of such charts isn't a good idea.

LR1955

Comment

I started using A2520 and 123gr AMax and Scenars. I had some temp sensitivity problems with 2520 and when the temp would go up my groups would open up. I have sense switched to IMR 8208XBR and have been VERY happy. Went from .75" groups to .45-.65" groups.

19" AA Shilen upper

Lapua brass
            28.4 IMR 8208XBR
            123 Scenar
            CCI 450m

This is in the upper limits of pressure. Start 10% low and work up.

Until that day,
            Darkop

Comment

Working...
            X