• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

SUB-SONIC Grendel loads

I've made a few attempts to develop a subsonic load for my Grendel (20" Satern) with out much success. I started using 140 grain Hornady spire points, trail boss, fire formed Winchester 7.62 cases and Federal LR magnum match primers. My first charge of 5.5g resulted in a stuck bullet. Second attempt with 8 grains of TB only gave me an average of 561 fps with and extreme spread of 145 fps. Even a full case compressed load of 9.5g only gave me 800 fps. Trail boss works great for .223 sub-sonics so I'm a bit disappointed it's not working in my Grendel.

My thought was to try universal clays next (mainly since I have it already) but I'm unsure on a starting load. My cases hold 18.4 grains of UC when filled to the top of shoulder/ bottom of neck line. I have an idea of where to start based on advice I've received on other forums but I was hoping someone here has actually tried it.

I have read and followed this already...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT 4-30-12. Success! Lots of info over here. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...sonic-Load-yet
    Last edited by txgunner00; 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

So far as I know, no one has come up with a subsonic load that fully cycles the action. Variable has played with it quite a bit because he shoots suppressed almost exclusively, and I'm sure he'll show up to post his results. I do believe that he was using a 160 grain bullet, though.

Comment

• b2948kevin

I am also interested in this. Subscribed to thread

Comment

• Clod Stomper

I'm pretty certain that there was an individual on the old site that stated that he had found a subsonic load that would cycle the action of his rifle. I don't remember his name or the load, but I do remember that he used a slower rifle powder than normal. Maybe he'll rejoin the forum and update us sometime.

Will

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          So far as I know, no one has come up with a subsonic load that fully cycles the action. Variable has played with it quite a bit because he shoots suppressed almost exclusively, and I'm sure he'll show up to post his results. I do believe that he was using a 160 grain bullet, though.
          At this point I'm not really trying to get a load to cycle. Just trying to get one that will perform consistently.

I initially looked into 160 grain bullets but didn't find much that wasn't very expensive. Hornady used to make a 160 round nose in .264 but that's no longer in production. They do make it in .268 still (6.5 carcano) and I thought about getting a lee sizing die to be able to use them.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

There was a guy who did get a load to cycle and stay subsonic ... I used to have the load in an email somewhere...I will take a look and see if I can find it. He was shooting a 6.5 Grendel from Tactical Rifles

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by zeeb_m4 View Post
              There was a guy who did get a load to cycle and stay subsonic ... I used to have the load in an email somewhere...I will take a look and see if I can find it. He was shooting a 6.5 Grendel from Tactical Rifles
              Any chance you remember the powder he used?

Comment

It was Chris-Variable

If you don't find it I will ask him to re-post it

There will certainly be a few members needing that data soon

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  At this point I'm not really trying to get a load to cycle. Just trying to get one that will perform consistently.

I initially looked into 160 grain bullets but didn't find much that wasn't very expensive. Hornady used to make a 160 round nose in .264 but that's no longer in production. They do make it in .268 still (6.5 carcano) and I thought about getting a lee sizing die to be able to use them.
                  That's weird, my buddies wholesaler still stocks the Hornady 160gr. bullets.

HOB2640
                  Manufacturer HORNADY BULLETS [Website]
                  Man. Number 2640
                  Title HORNADY 6.5MM CAL 160GR RN
                  Description HORNADY 2640 BULLET RIFLE 6.5MM CAL .264"DIAM, 160GR, ROUND NOSE, 100 PER BX 5 BX PER CS

Update---Found this: "I just got this e-mail from Hornady:
                  Absolutely not. Somehow that bullet was inadvertently left out of our 2011 catalog, but we are NOT discontinuing it. Thank you."
                  here:http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...CONTINUED!!!!!

I couldn't find my data on line. I'll look up my trail boss loads. The 160 Hornady should work great out of the 20" barrel. I haven't found anything to cycle my 10.5" while staying subsonic yet, but with 20" of barrel--- you should have a much easier time. I wanna say my TrailBoss load was around 9.6-9.7 grains, but DON'T quote me on that, as I don't have the data in front of me and I have a lousy memory.

I'll post back when I find it, and good luck with your loads.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    That's weird, my buddies wholesaler still stocks the Hornady 160gr. bullets.

HOB2640
                    Manufacturer HORNADY BULLETS [Website]
                    Man. Number 2640
                    Title HORNADY 6.5MM CAL 160GR RN
                    Description HORNADY 2640 BULLET RIFLE 6.5MM CAL .264"DIAM, 160GR, ROUND NOSE, 100 PER BX 5 BX PER CS

Update---Found this: "I just got this e-mail from Hornady:
                    Absolutely not. Somehow that bullet was inadvertently left out of our 2011 catalog, but we are NOT discontinuing it. Thank you."
                    here:http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...CONTINUED!!!!!

I couldn't find my data on line. I'll look up my trail boss loads. The 160 Hornady should work great out of the 20" barrel. I haven't found anything to cycle my 10.5" while staying subsonic yet, but with 20" of barrel--- you should have a much easier time. I wanna say my TrailBoss load was around 9.6-9.7 grains, but DON'T quote me on that, as I don't have the data in front of me and I have a lousy memory.

I'll post back when I find it, and good luck with your loads.
                    You telling me it's weird. I even called Hornady directly and was told it was discontinued. Good to hear it's still available.

Thanks for the info. Was your load cycling both suppressed and un-suppressed?
                    Last edited by txgunner00; 04-22-2011, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

OK- tried the 140s again with 10 grains (full case) of TB. 5 shot average was 842 fps with an ES of 90. No chance of them cycling either.

I have some 160s on order but if TB can't push 140s up to 950-1000 fps out of my rifle I suspect the 160s won't get there either.

I'm trying to decide whether I should try a pistol powder or a reduced load of a rifle powder.
                      Last edited by txgunner00; 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Well the 160s came in. Might get to the range tomorrow... I'll give TB a try and Universal as well. AAR forthcoming.

Comment

Txgunner,
                          I might be able to help you. I do not have any 160s just yet for my Grendel but I have the knowledge of the powder. I am an old steel mover and decided to build a subsonic Grendel for wild hog hunting with a can at night which is legal in FL. I shot cast for yeas in a 7TCU XP100 with a 14 inch barrel. My load for a 168gr RCBS GC bullet was 6.5gr of Unique which developed a velocity of 1150 fps. Now the case capacity of the 7TCU is 35 grs of water, the same as the Grendel. So, if you start at 6.5 grs with the 160 and work down a tenth at a time you should get to less than 1100 fps in short order.

This is how I intend to start my process as soon as I get my can on order. Right now I am just waiting on confirmation that the guys at Liberty will build the can for me in a 6.5 mm configuration.
                          Ed

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll give it a try.

Did you drill out the flash holes for your SS loads by chance?

Comment

No, I never found a load of Unique or even H-4227 to require any brass modification. However, it would be good to use a touch of toilet paper to hold the powder in place. It is not really necessary to do so, but accuracy is improves if the powder is in a constant position.
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X