can someone explain this about reloading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone explain this about reloading?

I don't understand why you have to start with the minimum pressure and work your way up when factory loadings are generally hotter than the maximum loading pressure. So if your gun can safely shoot factory rounds, why can't you just assume it can safely shoot the maximum pressure of reloaded rounds?

I suspect it tries to make room for inconsistencies in manufacturing from one gun to another, one set of dies to another, one batch of powder to the next, one batch of primers to the next, different seating depths, different temperatures where they're being shot and last but not least, Murphy's Law. A weak load can be increased. A catastrophic load can not be undone. From personal experience. If a load says 26gr min and 30gr max and everyone is using 29, I will usually start at say 27 to cut down on wasted materials and time. That route also allows me to observe (hopefully) repeating accuracy nodes as I progress upward.

Hoot

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by turnbull View Post
      I don't understand why you have to start with the minimum pressure and work your way up when factory loadings are generally hotter than the maximum loading pressure. So if your gun can safely shoot factory rounds, why can't you just assume it can safely shoot the maximum pressure of reloaded rounds?
      TB:

You are making a potentially fatal assumption in assuming that factory loads are 'generally' hotter than maximum hand loads.

I will admit this is the first time I have heard anyone claim factory loads in general represent the highest safest pressure levels. Most say they do not by any means equal maximum hand loads in terms of pressures.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
        TB:

You are making a potentially fatal assumption in assuming that factory loads are 'generally' hotter than maximum hand loads.

I will admit this is the first time I have heard anyone claim factory loads in general represent the highest safest pressure levels. Most say they do not by any means equal maximum hand loads in terms of pressures.

LR1955
        This^. Although some factory ammo like the WSM are pushing the limits of safe pressure, others like some 30-06 and 6.5 x 55 are pretty anemic when it comes to velocity and pressure.
        I start low and work up looking for accuracy and high pressure, but that doesn't mean I always start at the bottom.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Factory Grendel loads, both by Hornady and AA use proprietary powders not available to handloaders.

Their velocities are slightly higher, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily hotter, just faster.

32 grains of TAC would be very hot, (probably unsafe even)
          but probably not faster than factory loads under the same bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Factory Grendel loads, both by Hornady and AA use proprietary powders not available to handloaders.

Their velocities are slightly higher, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily hotter, just faster.

32 grains of TAC would be very hot, (probably unsafe even)
            but probably not faster than factory loads under the same bullets.
            That makes sense to some extent. So how do i know how hot i can load my ammo? People say look for "pressure signs", but what exactly does that mean?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

It's a good question and a fair one.

It's an experience thing. The AR complicates issues, because the tried and true signs for bolt rifles may not apply in AR's.

Primer flattening is a good one to start with. Its a good sign in bolt rifles because if the pressure is sufficient to flatten primers in a bolt gun, then you are getting very close to the edge. However in AR's, it may of may not mean anything because of the way a gas gun works and the bolt unlock speed.

I've seen people split cases where the primer wasn't flattened in a bolt gun. I've seen primers cratered, but not pierced, and pierced but without any other sign on pressure.

In reality, if you stay under max guidelines (for the chamber you have!), you should be fine.

I don't try to load "hot" or "fast" ammo, I try to load accurate ammo. Once I find groupings under 1", I develop from there. I don't have a single load that reached its best potential at or above recommended max pressure, though some were pretty doggone close. Most were 3-5% below max powder loads.

Comment

Originally posted by turnbull View Post
                That makes sense to some extent. So how do i know how hot i can load my ammo? People say look for "pressure signs", but what exactly does that mean?
                Having just recently been there, here's what I saw with my Grendel. First sign was believe it or not short stroking. Now you might be inclined to think that's from too weak a load, but it can happen at both ends. If you move up a powder increment and suddenly get short stroking when the previous didn't, it's obviously not weaker. The brass is sticking in the chamber as the extraction part of the cycle begins and you lose inertia from having to expend some gas breaking them free. Depending upon the speed of your particular powder, you may start seeing the ejector circle imprinted on the head and further along, the extractor cutout as well. Also, if you sight down the body of a spent case, you will see the chamber smoothness imprinted upon the brass, kinda shined up from being forged into the chamber walls, then a well defined line where the case tapers back toward the web just beyond the extraction groove. All of those show up before the old accepted primer flattening begins to manifest unless you have loose primer pockets to start with. When I'm working upward with a load, I examine every spent case the first time through, especially as I get toward the top of the range.

Hoot

Comment

Excellent suggestions! The only addition I feel comfortable making is to look at Ammoguide.com, which is a site dedicated to reloading. It has a forum that has some very capable reloading members as participants.

I believe you can read the posts without becoming a paid subscriber. The subscription rate is nominal, and will let you see, among other things, 79 loads for the Grendel!!

Comment

turnbull,

1st I would recommend rereading bwaites reply above #7. To answer further your question I'd suggest a Google search "reloading pressure signs", be sure and scroll through the "Images" too. Reloading can be great fun, financially beneficial, and rewarding in terms of accuracy. Have fun and be safe!

Cheers, Will

Comment

Appropriate for this thread:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X