• Show
Clear All
  • Bob Duncan

How many times can brass be reloaded?

• LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bob Duncan View Post
    I’m thinking about reloading for my .264 LBC. One of the cost variables is the number of times brass can be reloaded. I have been led to believe that Hornady brass can be reloaded twice, while Lapua brass can be reloaded 5 times. I would like to hear from your experience on this.
    Bob:

Haven't really worn out the Lapua stuff but I tend to get rid of it after fifteen or so firings. I haven't worn out any Hornady brass either but haven't shot it more than five times so far. I figure it ought to go ten or fifteen shots.

The key IMHO is the use of the Redding bushing sizing die. Use the right bushing and you won't overwork the necks.

LR55

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I have Lapua with 20 plus firings, after 12-15 firings I lose about 2-3 pieces per 100 to neck splits, each time I reload.

I haven't fired my Hornady enough to know, but it is softer than Lapua, so I don't expect quite as many.

Comment

• Bob Duncan

So it seems that assuming 10 for Hornady and 15 for Lapua would be conservative, but reasonable.

Thanks for the expertise.

Comment

Has anyone tried to anneal the brass to return the brass soft to avoid case neck cracks?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

fastpat, I'm sure someone is, but when I get 15-20 reloads without it, I'm not sure its really worth it.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fastpat View Post
              Has anyone tried to anneal the brass to return the brass soft to avoid case neck cracks?
              FP:

I have gotten 15 + loads and stopped counting. Even fired some AA / Lapus brass through three different chambers.

I tend to get rid of the brass somewhere between 15 and 20 loadings because the rims get chewed up.

I have never cracked a neck on a piece of brass when using the Redding bushing sizing die with the right size bushing and Dillon spray lube. Not one, not AA/Lapua, Hornady, or any brand of 7.62 X 39 brass. The reason is the bushing sizing die and the Dillon lube.

If you are using the Lee sizing die, you will destroy your brass and no amount of annealing will change it. Buy the Lee dies and you will be sorry.

LR1955

Comment

• infidel470

I have build an annealing rotating table and anneal my lapua brass after 7 -8 reloads for uniform neck tension. It works like a charm.

Comment

• StoneTower

Do you have plans for the annealing table? You can buy them but they cost around $350.

Thanks,

David

Originally posted by infidel470 View Post
                  I have build an annealing rotating table and anneal my lapua brass after 7 -8 reloads for uniform neck tension. It works like a charm.

Comment

< 20.... Neck craked at 22.

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                      FP:

I have gotten 15 + loads and stopped counting. Even fired some AA / Lapus brass through three different chambers.

I tend to get rid of the brass somewhere between 15 and 20 loadings because the rims get chewed up.

I have never cracked a neck on a piece of brass when using the Redding bushing sizing die with the right size bushing and Dillon spray lube. Not one, not AA/Lapua, Hornady, or any brand of 7.62 X 39 brass. The reason is the bushing sizing die and the Dillon lube.

If you are using the Lee sizing die, you will destroy your brass and no amount of annealing will change it. Buy the Lee dies and you will be sorry.

LR1955
                      Hello there stranger, I see you are still not a fan of the Lee dies.....lol

Mike

Comment

Here's a tool I've had for 12-13 years to aneal case necks. I never did get around to finishing my programmable annealing cradle.

Mike

Comment

Infidel470 loaned me his annealing table, so I annealed all my brass. I rotate in a couple of hundred new cases every once in a while, and have reloaded the ammo so many times I quit counting after about 6-8 loadings. Now, I get one or two neck splits out of 100 rounds fired.

I discard brass when the primer pockets get loose. Otherwise, I just keep using them. I'll do another annealing process after this batch of 700 rounds has been fired.

I like the annealing device noted above. I just love simple and effective. I think I'm going to build one of those tubing annealing units. Very clever...
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 457ciSBC View Post
                            Here's a tool I've had for 12-13 years to aneal case necks. I never did get around to finishing my programmable annealing cradle.

..snip..

Mike
                            I love that torch mod!

Looks like something I would do. I still chuck them individually in a Lee lock-stub and rotate them in the flame for a fixed amount of time determined a while ago. I have a programmable interval beeper that signals start and stop. It's slow changing brass, but for my small batch processing, it meets my needs. I will be building one of those circle heads as it eliminates the chuck-unchuck in the drill part. Gotta love ingenuity.

Hoot

Comment

• infidel470

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                              Do you have plans for the annealing table? You can buy them but they cost around $350.

Thanks,

David
                              No plans, from time to time I visit Gizmo surplus in Hillsboro Oregon - main equipment dump for Intel and I got a 20" diameter aluminium chemical wash pan, 1/4" thick and a variable speed control DC motor, mounted them together on a conveyor belt support, added (3) propane nozzles and it is done. The annealer is loaned to a friend right now, when it comes back I`ll take pictures and post.

Comment

Working...
                              X