Finally got my Dillon 650XL ready to rock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my Dillon 650XL ready to rock!

I got around to finally getting everything I wanted except the case feeder, I have the caliber conversions I need for all my rifles, except .270win which I will use my rockchucker for. I really don't shoot but maybe 40 rounds a year from the .270win anyways.

Dialing in the powder charge for IMR4895 was a bit touchy but I can get less than 1 grain SD over 20 rounds now. I am sure as I get used to it it will be even more reliable.

Now just to load the 15k .223rem cases I have...

I can then get on to reloading my grendel cases, I am going to hand prime the wolf cases and use the 650 for all small primers.

I am going to use TAC and 123AMAX for the standard loads of grendel.

It's a really nice thing that many of you have used this combo and in fact several with the exact same setup, so I have somewhere to start from minus a half grain for safety until I get the accuracy I need.
  • CCinClovis
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2011

Very cool to have it ready to go! I've had my 650 and everything I need to get reloading sitting in my garage for over a year. Time to find the time to set it up.
    Have fun.

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

That's cool. I have the LnL progressive, but it sure is nice to put some rounds out in a night. Mostly I do 40sw and 223 on my progressive. But will do some 22-250, 6.5 Grendel, 308 and maybe some others. I just like to get my favorite load first.

You did mean .1 grain?

Comment

Yeah it was a typo

Comment

• babue
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I have been loading on a 650 for 15 years, a great machine. Only use it for loading 223 rifle loads and all the semi -auto pistol
          calibers.
          A small trick on the Dillon powder measure, polish the lower section, nice and shiny. This seems to help with keeping the powder
          charge more consistent.

Comment

Thank You!

I am really angry over staked primers, I need to get my nephews over here to help sort brass, besides they can learn now in their teens and have a skill that lasts a lifetime.

Besides if the erosion of our rights continues they make the ones who need to pass on their knowledge.

Comment

• skyfish
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I assume you mean the military crimped when you stay staked. Yes, a pain.

When I do my 223/5.56, a lot is crimped primers. They get sized on the single stage, then prepped, primer crimp removed, primer pocket cleaned, trimmed to length.. Then off to the progressive with no sizer die. After the first prep, that brass can go right to the progressive. I try to keep lots segregated as well. As usually the brass streches somewhat uniformily.

I've found no better way to do it.

Comment

I found some that are not just crimped like Lake City, there are three actual stake marks at 120 degrees from each other and very apparent.

Yes I am going to sort by manufacture, a few friends have told me that if I learn to deal with 5.56mm I will be able to load anything.

Comment

• longdayjake

hen I do my 223/5.56, a lot is crimped primers. They get sized on the single stage, then prepped, primer crimp removed, primer pocket cleaned, trimmed to length.. Then off to the progressive with no sizer die. After the first prep, that brass can go right to the progressive. I try to keep lots segregated as well. As usually the brass streches somewhat uniformily.

I size mine on the progressive. That way I don't have to manually remove the casing and put it in a bucket. Saves a little time.

Comment

After looking I found some SA brass in there, that is why it is staked and also IIRC it is berdan primed.

Looks like I will have to make damned sure that stuff gets recycled as just scrap brass.

Oh well even if there is a thousand that leaves me another 14k cases that are good.

Comment

Originally posted by skyfish View Post
                      I assume you mean the military crimped when you stay staked. Yes, a pain.

When I do my 223/5.56, a lot is crimped primers. They get sized on the single stage, then prepped, primer crimp removed, primer pocket cleaned, trimmed to length.. Then off to the progressive with no sizer die. After the first prep, that brass can go right to the progressive. I try to keep lots segregated as well. As usually the brass streches somewhat uniformily.

Found out that Dillon makes a tungten carbide FL resizing die, I think I will pick that up.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by warped View Post
                        Found out that Dillon makes a tungten carbide FL resizing die, I think I will pick that up.
                        Dillon told me that unless you are doing production, you do not need the tungten carbide FL resizing die. They last longer but all of Dillon's stuff comes with a free replacment. You still have to use lube with rifle cases even with the tungten carbide die.

I ended up purchasing the carbide die in .308 and it works well. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy a Redding die as I believe they are nicer and I don't need the carbide die for the number of rounds that I load.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X