data for light bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• data for light bullets

I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel game but have many years of reloading behind me. I've been reading lots of talk of how the lighter (95 vmax, 85 var etc.)published OAL lengths are much longer than the chamber allows. I've made several measurements and know exactly where the bullets touch the rifling but my question is how much to reduce the powder load when seating the bullets so much deeper than advertised, and still keep as much velocity/accuracy as possible. Normally I'd just start from scratch but with all the talk of pressure sensitivity and bolt thrust issues, I'm a little anxious. My rifle has the 24" AA barrel. I've had no issues and excellent accuracy with 100 Noslers, 107 MK, 108 scenars, 123 scenars but would like to have a flatter varmint round. Thanks for any and all info.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ARMANIAC View Post
    I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel game but have many years of reloading behind me. I've been reading lots of talk of how the lighter (95 vmax, 85 var etc.)published OAL lengths are much longer than the chamber allows. I've made several measurements and know exactly where the bullets touch the rifling but my question is how much to reduce the powder load when seating the bullets so much deeper than advertised, and still keep as much velocity/accuracy as possible. Normally I'd just start from scratch but with all the talk of pressure sensitivity and bolt thrust issues, I'm a little anxious. My rifle has the 24" AA barrel. I've had no issues and excellent accuracy with 100 Noslers, 107 MK, 108 scenars, 123 scenars but would like to have a flatter varmint round. Thanks for any and all info.
    ARM:

Not sure that seating the bullets a bit deeper does that much unless they are seated deeper than recommended AND they are still jammed into the rifling. I think that with the Grendel you just have to accept the danger space. The cartridge is a great intermediate cartridge with the advantage of using an AR-15 frame. I wouldn't try to compare it with more classic varmint cartridges as the case won't hold the powder to propel a 6.5mm bullet as fast. So, accept what it can give is probably the best advice. Guys who try to hot rod the cartridge generally get into trouble.

LR55

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      ARM:

Not sure that seating the bullets a bit deeper does that much unless they are seated deeper than recommended AND they are still jammed into the rifling. I think that with the Grendel you just have to accept the danger space. The cartridge is a great intermediate cartridge with the advantage of using an AR-15 frame. I wouldn't try to compare it with more classic varmint cartridges as the case won't hold the powder to propel a 6.5mm bullet as fast. So, accept what it can give is probably the best advice. Guys who try to hot rod the cartridge generally get into trouble.

LR55

Grendel chambers cant handle a lot of light bullets unless they are seated deeper than the manual states. 95gr vamx, 120gr Amax and I heard Sierra 100gr?

Comment

LR55, Thanks for the reply. I do realize these bullets have to be seated deeper and already know what the OAL needs to be to not be jammed. I was hoping that maybe others have already done some experimenting and have some data to share. (read: I'm lazy) All the data I've found has these bullets seated so far out it's ridiculous. Might as well use the bolt/carrier to seat my bullets. (joke) Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1 View Post
          Grendel chambers cant handle a lot of light bullets unless they are seated deeper than the manual states. 95gr vamx, 120gr Amax and I heard Sierra 100gr?
          I did mine by the book:

Case Lapua new
          Powder VihtaVuori N133 29.5 gr.
          Wolf SRM
          Bullet Hornady 95 gr. V-Max
          COL 2.230
          Crimp light

I used these to brake in the barrel. Then I sighted in the scope. I shot 5 rounds, first round at 2 inchs at 11 o'clock adj scope second round 9 o'clock 1 inch adj scope third zero then I shot two more. All I could see through the scope was one hole for 3 - 5 shots. It measured .330 moa. I have 24" SS barrel. I will be doing a Chorny when the wind is good and write a range report.

Mike

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by MikeinGa View Post
            I did mine by the book:

Case Lapua new
            Powder VihtaVuori N133 29.5 gr.
            Wolf SRM
            Bullet Hornady 95 gr. V-Max
            COL 2.230
            Crimp light

I used these to brake in the barrel. Then I sighted in the scope. I shot 5 rounds, first round at 2 inchs at 11 o'clock adj scope second round 9 o'clock 1 inch adj scope third zero then I shot two more. All I could see through the scope was one hole for 3 - 5 shots. It measured .330 moa. I have 24" SS barrel. I will be doing a Chorny when the wind is good and write a range report.

Mike
            You must not have an AA barrel. I sent mine in to AA for inspection with sample bullets. Bill A himself confirmed my findings.

When I seated mine to 2.23 it would chamber fine but extract without the bullet coming out. lol. Anyways chamber one and remove it and see if you have extraction issues. If not your good. Must not be an AA barrel.

My buddy had the same issue with a 6.8 SPC round. He seats it to OAL per the manual and marks the bullet with a Sharpie and chambers it. Then he extracts the round to determine how far back he should seat it.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X