X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

New load with 8208 XBR

Rifle is a Grendel Sniper, 28" barrel, though mine is topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22:

Fewer than 30 rounds downrange, but looking for a good 600 yard load.

It wasn't real happy with Amax's, though sub MOA at 100 yards when loaded over 29 grains of TAC.

I tried Sierra 107's over XBR 29 grains, and got very similar groups, less than an inch, but not quite what I was hoping for.

Then I moved to Sierra 107's over 28.5 grains of 8208 XBR, a completely new load and powder for me.

First group was around .50 MOA, loaded at 2.270. For a barrel with 20 rounds down it, I wasn't unhappy with that.

This is the second group, loaded at 2.260.

Though its hard to tell, (to me it looks like 4, not 5) but it is 5 shots in that group.

That's a group or .2155 inches, (.4795 - .264).

That was the last 5 rounds I had with me.

After 30 rounds, it was time to clean the new barrel anyway.

I don't have a working Chrono right now, and my efforts to borrow one for the trip was unsuccessful. Extrapolating the IMR data, I think the load is running at around 2650 FPS, which is just a VERY rough idea.

I'll hopefully be able to chrono this load in about 3 weeks, I have Boomershoot and then a son's wedding taking up the next few weekends.

PS. I eventually got this load chronoed, and it shot at 2785 with an ES of 15 from my 28" barrel.
    Last edited by bwaites; 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM.
  • LRS_Ranger

I'll be waiting to hear more about you playing with this powder.. From what some have said it's magical pixi dust. I've been thinking of trying some in my 20 inch gun under 123 Scenars... I've got a load that I like with 2520, but I would like to find something a little more temperature stable...

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I was pretty skeptical initially, but.....

Comment

I have always had very good results with Hodgdon powders, in many calibers. So when I began to load for the Grendel the HP loading data was my "go-to". Started out with trials of XBR and Benchmark and from the beginning I intended to focus on the 123gr. SMK. Both powders have produced -.4moa groups at 300 yds. XBR has a .2moa group and I have decided to go with it for the time being. In the hot and humid south I like the Hodgdon powders insensitivity to temp change. Barrel is a Lothar-Walther 24" bull, 8 twist.

Comment

• Greyfox
          Bloodstained
          • May 2011

bwaites My first group out my new LW 6.5 CSS 24" barrel looked just like your group except you can see 5 holes.My load was 28.5 gr of IMR 8208 XBR, Lapua brass, 107 gr Sierra MK, Rem 7 1/2 primer, 2.260 col. Velocity was 2667 fps, es 38, sd 15. I quit trying for better groups and this is my 600 yd match load.

Greyfox

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

That load really works for my rifle. I need to get it chronoed, because if you are at 2667, I should be well over 2700 with 4 more inches of barrel.

Comment

Mine was 28.1 gr. XBR, Lapua brass, CCI BR4, 123 gr. SMK

Comment

bwaites,
                I've been having good luck using W748 and TAC with 120g and 123g rounds out of my AA 16" tactical. Do you think the 8208 is a fast enough burn to give me good results for the shorter barrel?

Comment

I'm not Bill, but yes. It burns on par with TAC and faster than W748. Lights off easier also.

Hoot

Comment

Thanks Hoot,
                    I'm loading sets of 123 AMAX w/8208, 120NBT's w/TAC & 8208, and 125 NP's w/BLC2.
                    I'll crony the sets and see how they do out of a 16" bbl.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM. Reason: Found missing Data

Comment

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
                      Thanks Hoot,
                      I'm loading sets of 123 AMAX w/8208, 120NBT's w/TAC & 8208, and 125 NP's w/BLC2.
                      I'll crony the sets and see how they do out of a 16" bbl.
                      Just getting started with my 65G, I have yet to settle on what deer bullet to reload for my 16". My 65G didn't shoot the 129SST very well but the 120BT grouped sub-MOA. Very interested in the bullets you're working, will be watching for your results.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                        Just getting started with my 65G, I have yet to settle on what deer bullet to reload for my 16". My 65G didn't shoot the 129SST very well but the 120BT grouped sub-MOA. Very interested in the bullets you're working, will be watching for your results.
                        Thanks
                        Load those 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over 28.5gr of 8208 at 2.25 COL and you'll be good to go for CXP2 game.

Hoot

Comment

I am pushing a 123 scenar at 2540fps with 28.4g 8208 XBR cci 450. I developed this load at 30 degrees and now that it is 60 degrees out Im starting to get pressure signs. Next loading I'm going to back down a little. So what I'm seeing is that 8208 XBR is NOT as temperature stable as Hogdon would like us to believe. Still better than 2520 IMO. Shot at 800yd this week and my dope for that load produced first round its at 450 and my come ups were dead on at 800.

Until that day,
                          Darkop

Comment

Originally posted by Darkop View Post
                            I am pushing a 123 scenar at 2540fps with 28.4g 8208 XBR cci 450. I developed this load at 30 degrees and now that it is 60 degrees out Im starting to get pressure signs. Next loading I'm going to back down a little. So what I'm seeing is that 8208 XBR is NOT as temperature stable as Hogdon would like us to believe. Still better than 2520 IMO. Shot at 800yd this week and my dope for that load produced first round its at 450 and my come ups were dead on at 800.

Until that day,
                            Darkop
                            That's the second time I've heard someone say they were experiencing temperature change induced pressure issues with 8208. I haven't seen enough temperature variance here yet to test that with mine. I'm curious though, why you're using a magnum primer with a powder that is so easy to light off? I've used CCI BR4, Rem 7 1/2, WSR and Fed 205M with 8208. The latter three were within 15 fps of one another, but the BR4 was about 50 fps slower.

Hoot

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                              That's the second time I've heard someone say they were experiencing temperature change induced pressure issues with 8208. I haven't seen enough temperature variance here yet to test that with mine. I'm curious though, why you're using a magnum primer with a powder that is so easy to light off? I've used CCI BR4, Rem 7 1/2, WSR and Fed 205M with 8208. The latter three were within 15 fps of one another, but the BR4 was about 50 fps slower.

Hoot
                              Hoot, all the Grendel loads were developed with CCI 450 primers, and I suspect that most of us that reload the Grendel have just stuck with those primers, even though we are switching powders. I have thousands of them, whereas finding small rifle primers in my area has been more than difficult for most of the last 3 years.

I would imagine its just the inertia of, "I've used these for so long, its all I use".

Comment

Working...
                              X