Any input on my load development appreciated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any input on my load development appreciated...

First post here, so I'm going to cover perhaps a bit more than need be.

My 6.5G build started it's life off as a 24" overwatch upper on a lower of mine. Last summer was my first summer shooting the rifle, and I've had no complaints with function or accuracy, though scientific accuracy tests were lacking, as I don't often shoot in "sterile" conditions. The rifle hits a 10" square steel plate at 450yds 9.5 times out of ten, just about no matter who's shooting it. That's plenty good enough for me.

Late last year I got into reloading, and have been learning like a sponge since. A few minor mistakes made along the way with forgiving calibers have taught me plenty, but I don't feel like I need to make any mistakes with the 6.5 to learn anything. Those lessons, I feel, would be too expensive.

My 6.5 upper got a bit of an overhaul by a machinist/gunsmith friend of mine during the winter, where the 24" barrel was cut down to 18.5", recrowned and rethreaded for the standard .308 muzzle device thread pitch. I am slightly concerned now that I had him cut it down to far for the twist rate, but I am hopeful that this will not be an issue. I've only put 80rds or so through the rifle since the cut down, and 20 of those were factory ammo at an indoor range, so accuracy has not be thoroughly tested yet. The factory ammo I've been using almost exclusively is hornady's 123gn AMAX load. I am also loading a 123gn AMAX bullet into fired hornady cases. Doing some testing at 100yds during the winter, I saw groups that could fit under a dime using the following load...

31.5gn BLC-2
    123gn AMAX
    COAL 2.260
    CCI#400 SR

I sorta guess threw the load together based on AA's reloading info available for 123gn weight class bullets. I used CCI 400's vs 450's because that's what I had available. I chose BLC-2 based on a buddy of mine's recommendation on what he loads 6.5 with.

I feel now that I perhaps did not do nearly enough research and might have backed myself into an expensive corner.

my last test load of 20 rds (I have not fired yet) are the same specs as above except seating to COAL of 2.250, which I chose only because that's what the factory 123gn AMAXs seated to.

I plan need this rifle to be dead set reliable with factory ammunition under drastically varying weather conditions, which it seems to be so far. I'd like to hold 1MOA or better, and reliably engage targets between 50-600M, and have the ability to stretch it's legs to 8-900M under ideal conditions.

All that said...

Using BLC-2 powder, (or another comparably priced suggestion, but I'd like to start with what I've got) 123gn AMAX projectiles and Hornady brass, where would you guys suggest I start with my loads.

Just to reiterate, I've got a 18.5" AA (ER shaw?) 1/9 barrel with a rifle length gas system, a bunch of factory 123gn AMAX ammo on hand, and a bunch of once fired Hornady brass and 123gn AMAX bullets to use. I'd like to end up with using the factory loading for plinking/practice use and end up with a hand load that is close in ballistics but perhaps exceeds the factory load for accuracy.

If you made it through my whole missive there, thank you, and I'm sorry. I'm just a bit overwhelmed right now and am looking for any input based on the position I've backed myself into .

Try 27.8 -28.2 tac load to mag length. Be safe Sloan.........

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I wouldn't worry too much about it, just work up loads like you would with any other rifle. I'm not too sure where the expensive corner comes in... you have a known load, and I don't think that.010 inches of seating change is going to create unsafe conditions, unless it causes you to jam the rifling. (which it won't cause you are going deeper) If you are still nervous about it load some at a lower charge weight at that COAL and once again, work up looking for pressure.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Start with 28-29 grains of BLC2, load 5 rounds at mag length and shoot them. Move up by .3 grains and repeat. When you get a group that is close to what you want accuracy wise, (my standard is that it shoots 1/2 MOA, but 1 MOA may be adequate for your use), load 5 more at that weight and shoot them.

I'll bet that the most accurate load is around 31-31.5 grains. Not quite the top, but close.

If you don't come up with a 1/2MOA group with BLC2, then try XBR 8208 or TAC or 2520, but be careful with 2520 because many of us have found it to be a bit temperature sensitive.

Comment

• longdayjake

The only thing I think you HAVE to do with the grendel is make sure you get the shoulder bumped back far enough. I have never had any problems with any other caliber in bumping the shoulder back, but the Grendel has some pretty tight specs. I have tried 3 different brands of Grendel dies and all of them required quite a bit of cam-over to get it bumped back. Other than that, just load normally.

Comment

appreciate the input guys.

So ya'll don't think that my barrel length/twist rate/bullet weight class chosen will be an issue?

Comment

Working...
            X