Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophernuts

Forster reloading press thoughts??

I'm about to make the reloading press investment. One of the old-timers at work (cabelas) said to get the forster presses. Anybody ever use these? They do a couple of things different than anybody else and I think it's the way I'm going to go. He has been reloading for 40+ years and shoots long range competitions so why hell wouldn't I just shut up and listen? Anyways, any advice would be appreciated.
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Use one and you'll never go back! If you have not used one, then don't bother to comment as you just don't know.

Leverage, concentricity, speed, smoothness. No shell holder changing & slop.

every time I use someone else's press it reminds me how good & different the Forster/Bonanza is.

I bought mine used around '86 and it's still going strong. I have no doubt my kids will use mine when I'm gone if reloading is still around then. :-)

My view: There are many good, serviceable presses if you are on a budget. Green, Orange, and red. But there is no other single stage press to consider if you want the best.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

It's a great press. A lot of the Benchrest and long range F class guys use them.

I'm not convinced it makes better ammo than the good "D" type presses, or the good turret presses, but you can't go wrong with it, that's for sure!

Comment

• pinzgauer
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

While many use it for perceived accuracy, I'm more enamored with the ease of use and speed.

Some pro's:

- Easier loading. Not just more leverage, it's the starting position of the handle (high) and the timing of the force. The forster has maximum leverage at the hardest part of the loading cycle.
        - Less side load on the ram. (carriage on the Forster). This is a factor of the linkage timing
        - Free floating die holder. This is the reason bench rest types like it. It does produce more concentric ammo. I'm with bill, I don't know if it makes it more accurate or not.
        - 2-3 second die changes
        - No shell holder slop, expense, or changing. I think shell holder variance & slop impacts more grendel shooters than realize it, it surfaces with shoulder issues.
        - 100% capture of ejected primers (the other press's seem to always allow some to escape.
        - The combination of leverage and the timing of the force makes for less stress on the bench, press, and you. Hard to explain, but it's noticeable when you go from the co-ax to another press.
        - No doubt, it's US made. Some of the others have castings made elsewhere, then finished in the US, etc.

Some cons: (or at least things to be aware of)

- If you switch between small base (.223) and large base (.308, etc) shells it becomes tedious to reconfigure the shell plate. Takes a couple of minutes, but clearly slower than changing a shell holder
        - You'll want to use hand held auto primer. (Though some like the Forster priming.... I don't)
        - You'll need to use Lyman, Hornady, or Forster die locking rings. Lee o-ring types do not work. I don't like RCBS rings. So I just order Lyman or Hornady now.
        - For certain loading the short handle is worth getting, though I just choke up. (most of the reloading steps you can do with just fingertips on the handle)
        - They are expensive
        - Most loading manual howto's do not cover the co-ax.... it helps if you already know how to use a press. Not hard to setup, just different

This review also has some good detail:

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

Comment

Working...
        X