Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc One Shot

Primers won't fit in brass ????

I bought some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass, and my CCI small rifel primers won't fit. If I push it hard enough it dents the primers and they won't go off. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Doc
  • longdayjake

so the hole isn't big enough or the pockets aren't deep enough? Which is it?

Comment

• Doc One Shot

I think the holes are too small. Some of my last batch went fine, others were dented. I just opened a new box of brass yesterday, and the first 3 04 four wouldn't go. I just tried a small primer pocket uniformer tool and it truned without any resistance.
      Doc

Comment

• longdayjake

maybe you got some out of spec primers or something. What are you using to seat them?

Comment

• Doc One Shot

I'm using a RCBS hand primer.

Comment

• Doc One Shot

I'm using a #3 RCBS shell holder that does seem kind of slopy as far as holding the shell tight. I'm wondering if the shell is not centered over the hole in the hand primer and not pushing the primer straight up? Sound feeseable? ( sp ) ? I've tried a different batch of CCI's and even some Remmington bench rest with the same results.

Thanks
            Doc

Comment

I'm guesing that you need to change the shell holder that you are using; or the seater itself. If you have another method of seating primers; ie your reloading press, or other, try that and see if you still have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc One Shot View Post
                I'm using a #3 RCBS shell holder that does seem kind of slopy as far as holding the shell tight...
                The proper RCBS shellholder is #32. Worth trying the correct one.

Comment

• Doc One Shot

Thanks. I just ordered a #32 RCBS shell holder. I gotta think that's the problem.

Comment

Had the same problem but not as bad. Primer pockets on the Lapua brass are tighter than a frog's ass.

Comment

Check to see if your priming tool is correctly aligned with the primer pocket. I am betting that something is misaligned between the primer pocket, and your priming tool. The tight primer pockets on Lapua cases are one reason the cases last so long. But I have never had any problem seating primers unless things are out of alignment.

On another note, the flash holes on Lapua brass are not consistent. A one sixteenth inch drill bit will easily enter about 70% of the flash holes, but won't go through the other 30%. So, to get more consistent ignition, I run the turning drill bit through every case before I start reloading.

Comment

• Selph Arms LLC

I had the same problem with my shell holders; it turned out to be an out of spec shell holder once I replaced it everything worked fine.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Play with the brass while its in the shell holder and see if it will line up with a primer as you squeeze. Occasionally I will have to do that with my lee hand primer.

Comment

Originally posted by mtn_shooter View Post
                            Play with the brass while its in the shell holder and see if it will line up with a primer as you squeeze. Occasionally I will have to do that with my lee hand primer.
                            Ditto, especially when using a shell holder for .308 instead of the one specifically for the 7.62x39. If they start cockeyed, even a little, they can seize up where they wouldn't if they were straight. It doesn't take much tilt to get them in a bad mood.

Hoot

Comment

• Doc One Shot

Got the right shell holder and the primers go in now.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X