• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

!40 grain bullets in 6.5 G.

Hey, I typically shoot 100 grn. bullets at close range for deer hunts,, and some 120;s at targets,,,, I recently received some 140 grn., fusion, or hotcor 6.5 units. I never load for heavy bullets. Anyone have a start point on these? Tac & RL15 & blc2 & x-term, are my main powders, at least for now. I shot some 130 Accubonds 2 yrs. ago , over Tac. Any thoughts ? This caliber is awesome with the lighter bullets! I want a plinker, watermelon killer with the 140's is all!
    Last edited by sneaky one; 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM.

RL-15 would be a good choice. What is the twist and length of your barrel? I have a 1 in 9 24" and even with the length, I would be doubtful that it would stabilize 140s. I could however be wrong. It sure makes 120 and 123s dance and sing. In the western end of Hennepin County.

Hoot

Comment

Sneaky One,
      It seems to me JonA was shooting the 140gr at 1000 yds on the old forum. Mabye he's online and can give up some loads.

Steel89

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Hoot I've been trying RL15 thru a 10" drop funnel, I'm also trying Tac. I'll post what fits in the case, and etc.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

steel, you're from the old forum aren't you? So was I. I'll contact jona and see what he has, I only want to plop these to 100y.

Comment

I just loaded up some 140's over 27 of WW748.
            Also did some over 26 of H4895
            The 4895 load is compressed. They run about 2250-2350 from my .264LBC 24", and are the most accurate bullets I use. I do have a 8.75 twist bbl, so it stabilizes them OK.
            You can probably interpolate some data for your powders.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks hammer. I loaded a few rounds of, 140 's & 24.6 Tac..,,,,, and a 140's & 24.5 RL 15 ., I checked oal., and decided to load .020 off of rifling touch... I prefer Tac, as for load density over RL15. I loaded some 87 gn. speer units over both. Have not been to the range yet,, too frozen here, but getting close to shooting outrside really quick

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

I know this is an old thread, but how do you think those 140s would run out of an AA 24" 1:8.5 twist? I am thinking that is what I am going to want for piggy rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerMTB View Post
                  I just loaded up some 140's over 27 of WW748.
                  Also did some over 26 of H4895
                  The 4895 load is compressed. They run about 2250-2350 from my .264LBC 24", and are the most accurate bullets I use. I do have a 8.75 twist bbl, so it stabilizes them OK.
                  You can probably interpolate some data for your powders.
                  what bullets? what is your oal?

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I think those 140's will work fine- maybe tweak the powder loads for your bbl. I Like them 140's. Doink-doink-doink= a nice impulse on shoulder, = a fine killer of anything close in. I'm off to the hunt area.

Comment

Here's an experiment I did with AR-Comp & 140gr Amax's. Certainly not as fast as we're used to with lighter bullets, but plenty accurate if you do your part.

-Sent from deer camp

Hoot

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                        Here's an experiment I did with AR-Comp & 140gr Amax's. Certainly not as fast as we're used to with lighter bullets, but plenty accurate if you do your part.

-Sent from deer camp

Hoot
                        Thanx Hoot! Hope you guys are having a good time.
                        Good hunting.

Comment

• luvnar
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2013

Blc 2 is awesome for 140 with 8 twist 20 incher

Blc 2 is awesome for 140 with 8 twist 20 incher

Comment

QuickLoad runs suggest that BL-C(2) can give close to the fastest velocities with 140gr bullets.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

I played around with 140 g Naturalis. AA 24" 1/9 twist. Didn't load develop. Just started on the low recommended end of Varget using 27 grains. Surprising 2200 FPS and plenty good accuracy for hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X