Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elfego baca

Grendel brass - Lapua vs Alex-A

I started reloading for my Les Baer 6.5 Grendel using Lapua brass.

I also began using Alex-A brass.

Once or multifired Lapua brass fits the RCBS 38 special shellholder without problems.

My once fired Alex-A brass is a very tight fit or no fit at all in the same shellholder.

Any one else have this problem.

If so what is the solution?

Thanks.

elfego
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Grendel brass should be reloaded using the proper shell holder, RCBS #32, not the #6 used for 38 special. Lapua and AA brass are the same thing, both made by Lapua on the same machines and simply headstamped differently. The difference you are seeing is probably nothing but lot to lot variation. You just got lucky that one lot fits the #6 shell holder, meaning the rim is on the very lowest range of normal.

Comment

I have two RCBS #6 shellholders. One works great the other will not work at all with 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass. It does work fine with Hornady cases. My Lapua brass has a rim thickness at about .052-.054 while the Hornady rims are at .050" thick. One #6 RCBS shellholder has a slot wide enough and the other doesn't. Will be getting a couple correct #32 shellholders soon. New at loading the 6.5 Grendel myself. Shellholders do vary even with the same manufacturer. I've even found some not to spec and the correct .125" from the top to the shelf of the shellholder off by as much as ten thousandths.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Try rolling the brass on a smooth surface, look for a bent rim, or a huge ejector scar, that can dent the rim . I've seen this a lot on fireformed loads,, and on a small few Lapua units. And yes the rim thickness differences have been seen also, Your eye can catch that, against a white backdrop. I've taken a fine small file to a few that had too much rim thickness , and they fit fine in a shellholder now, with no other problems.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 05-04-2011, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• elfego baca

Thanks for the info.

elfego

Comment

• elfego baca

I picked up a RCBS # 32 shellholder and it works for both Alex-A and Lapua brass.

I called RCBS about the problem before i posted the concern here and they were unable to provide a solution.

Thanks again.

elfego

Comment

Working...
            X