• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 gr Nosler BT Recipe

Just received some 120 gr. Nosler BT's.

-Hornady Brass
    -BL(C)-2 powder

I have the AA data sheet, my question is should I load Max or Min? (or somewhere in-between)
  • CoolBarrelBill

start at the min and work your way up

Comment

• terrywick4

If you have to ask min or max you probably should not be reloading! You should never start with max because every gun is different.

Comment

Yo Terrywick,
        I am completely aware off this.

Got in a hurry and didn't finish my post, was going to ask before I got side tracked and forgot to finish the rest of my post before proofing and hitting submit. What will say .7 gr of powder effect? I know it will effect FPS, but how would that adversely effect accuracy?

Comment

• terrywick4

Haven't reloaded any 6.5 yet but on my 223 .5 gr would make my group go from all touching to about a 1 1/4 spread. This is why I have my batch of all measured and the batch that was run thru the dillon (charges are pretty consistant but do have some variance)

Also BL(C)-2 powder from what I have read isn't very temp stable so if you go from picking a load in one condition doesn't mean it will preform very well in the opposite condition. I found this to be true with H335 on my 223. The honey load for 30 degrees doesn't shoot very well at 80. Am kind of curious why not many people use benchmark, varget or h4895 they are known to be temp stable. Too fps too slow maybe?

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Alchemy View Post
            Yo Terrywick,
            I am completely aware off this.

Got in a hurry and didn't finish my post, was going to ask before I got side tracked and forgot to finish the rest of my post before proofing and hitting submit. What will say .7 gr of powder effect? I know it will effect FPS, but how would that adversely effect accuracy?
            Al:

You won't know unless you do some thorough testing. My view is that you ought to start with a mid range powder load and work up from there. Do I think .7 grains of powder will make a difference in accuracy? Probably not with the Grendel unless you are shooting it from a bench rest bolt action rifle, and or are shooting it past 200 yards where you need speed to deal with winds.

Much of this also depends on the quality of the barrel. A top end barrel will probably shoot most anything with a tangent ogive very well and trying to figure out if less than a grain means a major difference in accuracy with the Grendel becomes something you really have to test.

Personally, I doubt it means anything in terms of accuracy with a gas blaster and the Grendel cartridge. However, it may mean a whole lot if you are going over the maximum recommended load.

LR1955

Comment

Hi guys,

Here is what I have learned with loading the 65G in MY rifle

18'' free floated AR Stoner barrel.

My goal was 1 load for all applications, which my purpose for MY 65 was long range steel/plinking and hunting. I own many hunting rifles but really fallin in love with hunting with AR's over the past years..... So i wanted a bullet that could play a multi purpose role.

Started with Berger 130 VLD's using 28.0, 28.5, 30.0 gr's of BLC-2 with 1.0-1.5 MOA off accuracy. have read that for optimum results the bullet should be seated to touch rifling, but I dont think it would reliably feed thru a mag. which is ok when shooting at the range I guess but not ok when a 190'' whitetails walks onto one of my soybean fields......

ordered some 120gr Nosler BT's as I was recommended from some fellow members on here saying they usually work in most 65G's.
              Using AA arms data I found the max load (31.7) to be fantastic. Had a blast yesterday with some friends shooting steel out too 650 yards!
              So as off now I think the Nosler 120 BT will be my go to bullet to fill my dual-purpose load.
              My next question is I found what works out of MY rifle, but is my powder choice the best? BLC-2 is some pretty dirty stuff, and I havent checked on temperature sensitivity.... I live in Oklahoma, would that powder be an issue in my climate????

Comment

Working...
              X