Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtn_shooter

help with 95gr Hornady V-max's

For the life of me, I can't get these bullets to group under 2MOA. I've tried tac, 2520 and 8208xbr. Probably not the best powders, but the light bullets are a side project. Im willing to try different powders. What's working for everyone?

Edit: im shooting an aa 18" button rifled barrel, shoots 123 amaxs under 1moa.
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I'll post tomorrow night, going to range. I have some 95s' loaded ahead of X-Terminator. Sounds like we may have the same barrel. Also, I noticed that Hornady(longer) and Ramshot(shorter) had two different COL for that bullet. I settled on something in between. Mine also has been shooting the factory 123Amax's well. Trying some reloads with 123 and both 2520&Lvr tomorrow as well.

Just checked my data. Hornady's COL 2.245.(Too long IMO)
    Rmashot 2.19
    I'm just about half between the two.
    Like I said, going to range first thing in morning and will post results, may be late. Going to Bozeman, MT tomorrow for work.
    Last edited by skyfish; 05-06-2011, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• RangerRick

I've had good luck with Accurate Arms 2460 with bullets in the 100 grain range. Nosler BT's with 30 grains of 2460 give me about the best groups of any load out of a 20 inch barrel. I haven't used it with 95's though.

Comment

31grains Hodgdon H335

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

I had these shooting sub MOA out of my old Grendel barrel. It was a 24" Shaw. I was using Hodgdon Benchmark. I had 2 full boxes of them when I switched to my Sabre Defence barrel. I have been unable to get them under 1.5 MOA with that barrel and my buddy has had very erratic results from his 24" Satern barrel. One group was 3" and another was 1/2", and a couple others in between those. He's a very talented bench shooter in case you question that.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to give H335 and Benchmark a try next trip home. Thank you gentlemen.

Comment

Best load so far with the 95g Vmax in my 24" AA barrel is 30g X-terminator, Fed GM 205M primer, Lapua brass, OAL- 2.160. This seating depth is .010 off the rifling in my AA chamber. Most data has OAL seriously jamming the bullet into the rifling and Vmax bullets in my experience need a jump to the lands. This load chronos at 2820 in my barrel. Group size has been around 1/2-5/8". The biggest issue with the lighter bullets is the twist rate doesn't agree with the higher velocities most of us want. I have to keep reminding myself.......this isn't a 6.5-284!

Comment

• skyfish
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Okay went to range this morning but notes not with me. I had my 95's loaded to 2.20, yes they were in the lands, but would eject without pulling bullets. Hornady brass, CCI 450, X-Terminator. Need my notes but topped at 2820 fps. Shot okay, I had 2-5 shot groups with 30+(30.4 I think) grains of powder. 3 holes at 1/2", last two made it one inch. On both groups. May have been me, but I feel that would be indicative of what that bullet will shoot. Have more 95's, will adjust COL.

Also shot some 123 Amax's
                Factory Hornady were 1moa and at 2480fps on my chrony out of 18" AA barrel.
                AA 2520 went up to 2540 and opened up a bit.
                Leverlution was 2460fps but had the best grouping of the three, these were small test batches and this is from memory. I'm going Prairie dogging next month and was going to take the Grendel as a second rifle. Will test more 95's more and will work if shoot 1" or better.

Comment

Working...
                X