Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khamill2000

120 gr Hornady amax

Recently bought an upper that came with some reloading stuff. I understand the 120's are not correct but I thought I would use them up. Anyway, The load is Lapua brass, CCI 450 primers, 27.5 gr of Tac.

The problem is, in order for them to chamber, the bullet had to be seated way deep. The length is now 1.750.

The question is: are these safe to shoot?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I'm not sure you're measuring correctly, because I don't think you can get 27.5 grains of TAC in the case and then seat an Amax that deep. The Brass is 1.52 inches in length. Your measurement means the bullet is seated almost all the way inside the case.

The 120 Amax shoots well from many Grendels, it just doesn't take all the advantage of BC that some bullets can in the Grendel.

Comment

• khamill2000

You are correct sir. I should have said the length is 2.175

But the question is the same. Is this safe?

Comment

• pinzgauer
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Your mileage may vary, but I had a very hard time getting the 120 AMAX's deep enough not to be jammed into the lands. And you can absolutely see pressure spikes with them. Seat them deeper, and you get mega compressed loads, again a problem.

I shot the rest of mine up, but used them for fireforming with very reduced loads. Even less than my normal fireform load. That left enough room in the case to seat them deep enough.

I think it's a decent bullet, just not setup well for Grendel. 123g AMAX is a completely different story.

Comment

• khamill2000

Can you recommend a powder charge for these at this depth? I would like to use them up for plinking if nothing else

Comment

Working...
          X