Seating 123g HPBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seating 123g HPBT

Using the data from AA for the 123g Sierra/A 2520, when seating the bullet, because the load is a compressed load the seating stem leaves a ring/dent around the bullet. I am using Hornady dies. My question is- has anyone used the custom seating stem from Hornady for the 123 A max and if so does it better contact the bullet to prevent this type of bullet damage? Yes I do realize that I am talking about two different bullets but I'm hoping someone with more experience with these bullets may have some insight. Thanks
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Same problem. I solved by a different route, just shoot 123g AMAX's since:

- The custom seater still does not addressed the (heavily) compressed load issue with the 123g Sierra's
    - The 123g Sierra's are significantly more expensive, but do not appear to shoot any better than the 120g's
    - The 123g Amax's sidestep both issues, shoot great, and are cheaper to boot!

I do think paying attention to the seater will yield more consistent results due to both the melplat(??) on the hollow points and the plastic nose on the AMAX's.

The forster die seats the AMAX 123's with no problem, no ring. (It did leave substantial ring with the 123g SMK and 120g AMAX) I do see apparent COAL variances, but it's due to the plastic nosecone varying, not the bullet itself.

Comment

Pinzgauer- Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X