Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtn_shooter

Wolf Brass vs. Lapua powder charge question

I've finally been able to get a hold of some 120 MPT Wolf Gold ammo, and the stuff is amazing. 7/10 rounds on average go into 1/2MOA group and the fliers make it right at MOA. Anyway, I'm left with reloadable brass that is thinner and has a different primer/flash hole than my usual lapua reloads.

Has anyone noticed any trends when switching between brass using the same bullets and powder (for example, Wolf brass is over/under pressure compared to Lapua when using the same amount of powder... any velocity comparisons would be great.)?

I would love to do the testing myself, unfortunately I get to come home a sum total of maybe 3 weeks a year (USMC stationed east coast, live west coast), and being stationed in DC means guns are a no-go....

Anyway, any insight/tips are greatly appreciated.

When I used Wolf brass I noticed that the primer pockets only lasted about 3 loadings. Either that, or the necks cracked. The cases are a bit short, but you can deal with that. The bigger problem for me was that the primer pockets usually determined how long the cases lasted. But if you have a bunch of it, why not use it?

I would compare both Wolf and Lapua cases by weighing how much water they contain, then by taking a specific amount of fine powder like AA2520 (around 30 grains) and see how much that amount of powder fills each case. Those two comparisons should give you an idea about the differences in case capacity, if any exists.

Comment

• rasp65
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

MS
      Iwas looking at data I collected from the AAsite a number of years ago about loading Wolf cases. The data was the same as Lapua except for the primer.
      Last edited by rasp65; 05-07-2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I found my best accuracy with wolf .2-.3 of a grain less than Lapua, using Tac or Rl 15 with hunting bullets. If the wolf brass get lost in the woods while hunting, oh well.

Comment

what about the primer differences, the wolf uses the large rifle. I have been searching for a while to find what powder charges people use. is it really only .2-.3 gr different from the loads that use a small rifle mag primer?

Comment

I have been using 28.5 grains of TAC in Wolf brass with a magnum primer.

So far it was really good using a 123AMAX.

No pressure signs at all (of course that does not mean a thing) I would still advise to start out at no more than 28 grains and work up.

Always consult a reloading program to get an idea of pressures.

Comment

"If the wolf brass get lost in the woods while hunting, oh well."
              sneaky one,
              Now that is the perfect use for my Wolf brass! No deposit - no return on my hunting cartriges.

Comment

Working...
              X