8208 the sweetest thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8208 the sweetest thing

I have played with multiple different powders, almost had settled on 2520, but have had awesome results with 8208. I have fired 130gr Accubonds, 120gr Ballistic Tips, and 123gr Amax bullets with it. What is really cool is that I am getting almost identical points of imp
    act with all three bullets. I can't post pics at the moment, computer crashed.

Rifle - Les Baer 20" barrel.

120gr Ballistic Tips
    28.5gr
    Average velocity - 2531 fps.
    5 shot groups under .5"

123 Amax
    28.5gr
    Average velocity - 2524 fps
    5 shot groups under .5"

130 gr Accubonds
    27.5gr
    Average velocity - 2387fps
    5 shot groups .75"

I am getting better groups with 8208 than I was with 2520 and I really haven't had to sacrifice any of the velocity that you get with 2520. I am buying 8 pounds and sticking with it now.

sweet info

Comment

The short while ago when I began entertaining the Grendel, I was somewhat dismayed that no one at beyond556 (during the down time) but a few were considering even using 8208. It's an extruded powder that seemed to be made for this caliber. Glad to see it getting some more lip service. It's been out since 2009.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
        The short while ago when I began entertaining the Grendel, I was somewhat dismayed that no one at beyond556 (during the down time) but a few were considering even using 8208. It's an extruded powder that seemed to be made for this caliber. Glad to see it getting some more lip service. It's been out since 2009.

Hoot
        Is it very temperature sensitive?

Comment

According to Hodgdon it is the definition of being insensitive to temperature changes. That is the reason I was interested in it.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I've used 8208 in another cartridge, and it didn't seem as temp insensitive as the claims. Used the Snipers Hide Google search and found that others had similar experiences.

That being said, it might be less sensitive than AA2520. And the powder seems to provide very good accuracy.

Thanks for the load data. I have a couple of pounds of 8208, and will give it a try in the 6.5.
            Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by davidj View Post
              Is it very temperature sensitive?
              To be honest, my February loads are within 10 fps of my May loads. In Minnesota, that's not a lot of change. Ask me mid-summer.

Hoot

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Nimrod,
                Great data; thanks for posting! I've been wanting to try 8208 in the Grendel. The data you and Hoot have provided has convinced me that I need to go try some. In my experience there are few powders available that will get 2500 + fps with 120 to 123 gr bullets in a 20" barrel at sane pressures. Looks like you have found a winner.
                Best,
                PA

Comment

The data sounds wonderful. I just wish it was a ball powder so I could just throw charges rather than weighing each charge for consistency. Perhaps I have a crummy powder measure, but I just don't get consistent weights when I try to throw charges of extruded powders. That is why I have gone to powders like Tac, BLC-2, W748, AA2520 for the Grendel.

Does anyone know why they don't make powders into ball or flakes with powders like Varget, 8205, R15, H4350, IMR4350 and similar powders? I'm guessing it has something to do with the manufacturing process required to make powders burn at that rate and temperature.

Comment

8208 is a very fine extruded powder, try it you might be able to throw the charges same as ball, I weigh all mine but they don't change with each charge like other extruded powders.

Comment

Nimrod,
                      That just may make it worth a try--I'll check it out. Thanks. My friends just got a keg of it to split up, so they have some I can take a look at. Obviously, sporting goods stores aren't keen on people opening up their powder containers in the store.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

It is so fine that you really have to look at it to realize it isn't a ball powder. It should meter well.

As I noted elsewhere, I am very impressed with it. I loaded 4 sets of 5 up at 28.5 and 29 grains under 107 Sierras, and the 28.5 at mag length shot this group:

That's five shots, though it looks like only 4. I'm not pushing it, and I don't have chrono numbers yet, but my guess is it is at 2650 FPS or so. However, a .21 group is good enough for my work! If I can get it up to 2750 or 2800 I would be happier for 1000 yard shoots, but I think I can do well at 600 with this load.

I will be trying it under some heavier bullets soon as well.
                        Last edited by bwaites; 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I've also switched to this powder. Very consistent MV with 123 Amax's (also a great advance in my 6.5 grendel reloading, but that's another thread). If I remember correctly 12 fps extreme spread over the 10 rounds I chrono'd. 28.4 grains with the Amax in lapua brass was my pet load. 3/4 MOA out of my normally 1-1.5moa barrel. It meters perfectly-- I was worried at first, but after throwing over 15 charges and weighing them there was 1 that was .1 grain light, the rest were right on the money. Close enough for me

Comment

• terrywick4

are you still using the mag primers for the 8208? I live in South Dakota and would be very interested in how the jan loads perform in july.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                              are you still using the mag primers for the 8208? I live in South Dakota and would be very interested in how the jan loads perform in july.

Terry
                              It lights off much easier than spherical powders. I've never felt the need for magnum primers. I've used Win LR, Rem 7 1/2, Fed 210M and CCI 200. The first three ran real close in speed, but the CCI's were like 5% slower than the other three. No significant difference between the first three in SD. Others may have had a different experience. If I wind up using this for MN deer season, I would probably use the Rem 7 1/2.

Hoot

Comment

Working...
                              X