125gr Nosler Partition Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125gr Nosler Partition Loads

I picked up some 125gr Nosler Partitions for hog hunting, but I can't come up with any loading data. I called AA and they didn't have any either. If anyone can post a load range and seating depth, I would appreciate it. I have TAC, W748 and BLc2.

Steel89
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I loaded and shot them at 2.20 and over BLC2 at 28-30.5 grains. If I recall correctly, I was getting about 2500 FPS. I only used about 100 rounds, back when there weren't many 6.5 bullets available a couple years ago.

Comment

They are really expensive as well Bill!

Jon just left 1000 123AMAX on my doorstep last night. Hell Yeah!!!

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
        Jon just left 1000 123AMAX on my doorstep last night. Hell Yeah!!!
        Hey, where are mine?!!!!

LOL!!
        Last edited by bwaites; 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
          They are really expensive as well Bill!
          I should say that I loaded 100 and shot a lot fewer. I still have a bunch left, kept them for pigs, deer, or elk if I ever decided to do that. Not great target rounds but they shot around 1 MOA, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            I should say that I loaded 100 and shot a lot fewer. I still have a bunch left, kept them for pigs, deer, or elk if I ever decided to do that. Not great target rounds but they shot around 1 MOA, I think.
            Yeah, I was wondering how tight a group I could get with them. I think with so many different bullets available for the Grendel, I need to take the ones that are consistantly great target and hunting rounds and just tweak them to perfection. The problem is that the Grendel such a great gun to shoot on the range and for hunting that I can get range fever as well as buck fever. 1 MOA starts to sound like less than great, when it is really a good thing to shoot for - when hunting. I'm not a fantastic shot but I've seen more sub-MOA with my Grendel than I have with any of my previous hunting rifles. I'll give the Partitions a good chance at the range and who knows, but there is probably a good reason why I haven't seen any previous blogs on it or data at AA. Thanks for the info.

Steel89

Comment

During my reloading I started using some of my new Lapua brass and got a real uneasy feeling when the rounds slid into the case a little too smoothly. Once seated they seem to hold tight since I use a slight taper crimp, but I'm wondering if I shouldnt finally buy a set of neck sizing dies. Who makes a good set and what size is best for Grendel?

Steel89

Comment

Try the Redding Type S resizing die P/N 77478. Bushings are available in just about any neck OD you want. If your current die is sizing the Lapua with too great an OD, measure that OD and order a bushing or two in the next step(s) down. The Redding site has lots of information on them.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                  Try the Redding Type S resizing die P/N 77478. Bushings are available in just about any neck OD you want. If your current die is sizing the Lapua with too great an OD, measure that OD and order a bushing or two in the next step(s) down. The Redding site has lots of information on them.

Hoot
                  After trying Midwayusa with no luck, I went to the Redding site and found the 77478 for $119.48. Are you using the bushings that come with it, or did you order a specific set.

Comment

30.3gr BLC(2) under 125 gr Nosler partition loaded just a hair off the lands. A great hog load. Maybe .75 inch group @ 100 yards. I never shot past 250 yards. I think I have 150 or so stored up for hunting. They get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                      30.3gr BLC(2) under 125 gr Nosler partition loaded just a hair off the lands. A great hog load. Maybe .75 inch group @ 100 yards. I never shot past 250 yards. I think I have 150 or so stored up for hunting. They get expensive.
                      When you are loading your brass above 30 gr of BLC(2) and seating the rounds at a depth of 2.20 as bwaites suggests, am I going to run into compression issues?

Steel89

Comment

WTF?? I am giving up the 125 partitions. I cant seat them deep enough without them jamming the bolt so tight I have to pry it out. I tried the 2.20 thinking 'wow that is the deepest I've seated any of my rounds', but they jammed the bolt. So I've gone all the way to 2.185 and still am jamming the rounds in the chamber. My other reloads from the same batch (120 NBT's, 123AMAX, and 120 Pro hunters) are chambering and extracting fine. My Wilson case length gage shows the Partition cases are perfect, and the necks are the same size as the other rounds. I'm at a loss, but I won't screw up my range day with the Partitions.

Comment

Problem solved. I discovered that while seating the bullets I had readjusted the die to give me a taper crimp (which I had already set). This caused the case to be deformed just enough to cause the rounds to jam in the chamber. After pulling the bullets on 60 rounds, resizing the cases, and reloading They are chambering sweetly again and ejecting by hand with no problems. So much for loading with a tight schedule. When range day comes I should have chrony numbers. Rounds are seated to bwaites recommendation of 2.200 COAL.

Comment

Range day! Finally had a chance to shoot the 125g Nosler Partitions w/BLC(2) seated at the suggested 2.200 COAL.
                            88F with a 25mph xwind. 5rnds/group, 100yd range

28.5 gr vel. 2149 -.62"gp
                            29.0 gr vel 2216 - .54"gp
                            29.5 gr vel 2244 - wild
                            29.8 gr vel 2253 - 1.88"gp
                            30.0 gr vel 2245? - 2.34"gp

Velocities were lower than I like to see even out of a 16" bbl. The winds were very turbulant so I believe I can tighten the higher velocity groups. Any suggestions on the XBR 8208 would be appreciated. I like the powder and would like to get these rounds over 2400fps.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

.54 group is outstanding! Velocities are reasonable considering that length barrel. I think I was around 2320 or so out of a 20" barrel.

It's pushing the Grendel case pretty hard once you get above 120 grains. The 123's are my normal max.

Comment

Working...
                              X