Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stealthshooter

Hello from Idaho

How is everyone? I'm here because I'm looking to get into a 6.5 in my AR. I need you guys to convince me why I should get the Grendel instead of a 6.5WSSM!!
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome!

They are both interesting choices. But the Grendel is a much more balanced cartridge for the AR, and try finding 6.5 WSSM ammo anywhere!

Comment

• Stealthshooter

I knew I would have to load all my ammo for the WSSM....I plan on doing that for anything I get. Is the Grendel going to be a more accurate choice do you think? At this point in my Shooting career I'm looking for a tack driver!!!!

Comment

• StoneTower

I believe that the bullet choices are limited with an AR in 6.5 WSSM due the the mag length. DTECH is the expert on the WSSM in the AR platform.

Comment

• Stealthshooter

Dtech is where I saw the WSSM that's also who I would like to get my 6.5 upper from no matter which one I choose but I see they chamber the .264LBC instead of the Grendel. Is there really any dif between the Grendel and LBC?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

The Grendel chamber and the LBC chamber differ in that the Grendel uses a compound throat, allowing multiple different bullets to feed and shoot well. I have many .25 MOA groups from 3 different Grendels, and believe that Bill Alexander found a bit of magic with his chamber.

The LBC chamber is a standard chamber, with a .295 neck. Bill Alexander found that the tighter neck offered no significant advantage in accuracy in the AR platform, and that when the rifle started to get dirty that feeding issues became a larger problem. I have seen it stated, and I believe it is probably true, that Les Baer intended his chamber to be specifically accurate with the Hornady 123, and that it is really designed to do so. Whether or not that impacts its ability to handle other ammo well is still up for conjecture.

The Grendel chamber does shoot most different loads well, and some of them spectacularly. If you want a tack driver, make sure you ante up for one of the premium barrels; ie. Shilen, Satern, or Templar.

Comment

• Stealthshooter

Thanks for the information!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Welcome, Stealth, good to have ya!

John
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• skyfish
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Welcome. I have thought long about a 6.5 wssm(6.5Heaton). But in a bolt gun. Only so much play money, so my 25wssm doesn't get shot much except during deer season. And it still a 25 wssm!

Comment

• Stealthshooter

I think I'll end up with the Grendel so I know for sure I can use the 123 grain bullets.

Comment

• longdayjake

LBC does many things very well, but I think that in the case of the grendel the compound throad is actually a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X