Brass failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass failure

I have six loads through my brass, which is Horny brass, and am starting to get a failure here and there. The failures are happening at the base of the cartridge. Of the three I had two just had a ring at the base, but one failed altogether and came apart while firing, I end up with the forward half of the cartridge being ejected and the base staying and jamming the action. These are upper end reload but are not over any stated loads.

Any comments or thoughts would be welcome.
  • Longshot_34

I've been using converted x39 brass and have experienced failures at the neck and shoulder in as few as 3 loadings. But I will also openly admit that I was running near max charge which works that converted brass pretty good. I'm hoping to get some factory brass to try out.

Comment

Mine are separating at the base, I am wanting to make sure I don't have some warning signs that I am missing.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Your problem is incipient case head separation. Two of the main causes are excessive headspace or excessive full length resizing.

Comment

• Stormrider

Nimrod,
          It sounds like you have adjusted your dies to move the shoulder too far back. That makes for excessive working of the brass (excessive headspace). Take a paper clip and bend a right angle about 1/4 inch long at the end. Put it down the neck of the case and pull up the side of the case. If you can feel it catch you have an incipient case head separation. Throw that piece of brass away.

Comment

• Stormrider

Longshot,
            It looks to me like you have work hardening of the brass. Since you've changed the original case substantially by necking it down and blowing it out, you probably need to anneal your cases.

Comment

Thank you for the info and advice fellas.

Comment

• Longshot_34

Stormrider-my thoughts exactly.

Comment

Thank you for the info and advice fellas.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Nimrod:

What sizing die and lube are you using?

Yes -- it is headspace separation. No question about it. And yes, you could be bumping the shoulder too far back. However, I haven't found a quality sizing die and shell holder that allows someone to bump it so far that they get headspace separation. That one is normally a chamber that has excessive headspace.

Hot loading the brass isn't helping either. That is part of the problem but not the main part.

LR1955

Comment

I am using th Horny dies that Les Baer sent with the rifle, off the top of my head I ain't sure about the lube and I'm not home to check. The rifle is fantastically accurate, would an over sized chamber by accurate?

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                        I am using th Horny dies that Les Baer sent with the rifle, off the top of my head I ain't sure about the lube and I'm not home to check. The rifle is fantastically accurate, would an over sized chamber by accurate?
                        Nimrod:

Not sure if the chamber is oversize but if it has excessive headspace it can be deemed somewhat dangerous. I doubt LB would chamber a rifle with excessive headspace as most reputable companies will run a headspace gauge through the chamber to ensure the headspace is within specs.

I also find it hard to believe that a sizing die and shell holder combination for the Grendel could allow bumping the shoulder so much to cause headspace separations. However, combine it with hot loads and maybe after five or six shots.

You may want to buy some headspace gauges and check it yourself or call LB and tell them what is going on.

The lube can give you a bit more sizing but not enough to cause excessive headspace.

LR1955

Comment

I did at one point a year ago shear a lug and have to get a new bolt, I did send the old one in so they could measure it for a match but maybe.........

Maybe I shouldn't be full length resizing?

Would you recommend a case lube?
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2011, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Stormrider

I use Imperial Sizing Wax. I believe that Redding now owns it. One small tin will last a really, really long time...

If you don't full length resize, your cases will eventually swell at the base and no longer chamber. If you don't want to have the chamber redone because it shoots so well you can have custom dies made for your gun.

You need to be able to measure your case length to know for sure what is going on. A go/no go gauge would tell you if your chamber was out of spec. This will also help a lot: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/7288
                            It will allow you to tailor your cases to the length of your chamber so they aren't excessively worked when you resize them.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                              I did at one point a year ago shear a lug and have to get a new bolt, I did send the old one in so they could measure it for a match but maybe.........Maybe I shouldn't be full length resizing? Would you recommend a case lube?
                              NR:

You must full length size with a gas gun and most people full length resize for all of their shooting needs, including guys who shoot competitive High Power. There is much debate over full length sizing or neck sizing with bolt rifles but most will full length resize even if shooting a bolt rifle.

With the Grendel I would even think a small base sizing die would be in order but I am not sure if the ones available already are small base or not as I haven't had problems that would indicate a need for a SB die.

I use Dillon Spray lube and it has never let me down. However, the lube you are using probably has nothing to do with headspace separation.

Sorry but you better get a headspace gauge and check the headspace on the rifle.

Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X