Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum and th egrendel

Hello guys (and girls)
    I'm new to the forum and the Grendel as I kinda just fell into one. Ive wanted one for a long time and thought it would make the ultimate coyote riffle and a step up from the 223 I have been using. Just as fate would have it I had something the owner of this thing wanted so the trade was on.
    Upper
    AA 6.5 marked upper receiver
    Sabre Defense SPR 18" fluted barrel with a 1-7.5 twist rate and matching Sabre bolt (came as a package)
    Sabre Defense Gill brake
    PRI low pro gas block
    Hogue 12" free float tube, knurled, which has a JP Enterprises sling stud attachment mounted to the bottom front for bipod
    Bushmaster carrier and small BCG parts (I believe)

Lower
    Spike's Tactical lower receiver
    RRA 2 stage trigger with JP Enterprises 3.5lb spring kit and original RRA springs go with the rifle
    Milspec lower small parts (mostly DPMS)
    RRA star style ambi-safety
    Samco G27 grip
    Magpul Moe trigger guard
    Midwest Industries ambi sling plate
    CAA Sniper stock with monopod, adjustable cheek rest, adjustable buttplate, mounted on an RRA tube with RRA buffer and spring
    I also added an accuwedge and I think it was M16 clinic buffer pad to the standard buffer.

My question is 18" tube and 7.5 twist what is the best BC bullet/powder combination should I start with. I have messed a little with 123 AMax and XBR8208 but not getting the accuracy I'm looking for. I think I went up to 28.5 and it was right at 2500FPS .75MOA probably
    Thanks for your input
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the boards!!

OK, you're getting .75 MOA from an 18 inch barrel and you want more? Its a Sabre barrel, remember, and was made for hard use, not target shooting. Any 18" AR shooting .75 MOA is pretty good.

That said, you may be able to shrink those a little with a different bullet. Try the 100 and 120 grain Nosler BT's, which are great coyote medicine, too.

Then try the Berger 100's, which also tear coyotes up.

If none of those help, I would try the 107 Sierra's and the 120 Sierras, but both are match bullets and reports vary on how effective they are on coyotes and other game.

Comment

tbshltn,

Welcome to the forum. I have some questions about what exactly you deal with and what you want to do when hunting yotes:

Do you find it hard to get closer than 300 yards to the yotes in the areas you hunt them in?

Do you care about the pelts?

The Grendel will offer you some wind deflection advantage I think, as well as a plethora of different accurate hunting bullets available. Your twist is very fast, so I'm not sure if you will run into some small stabilizing nodes with lighter projectiles. For me, I would want the shortest flight time possible balanced with good on-target performance, whether that means saving the pelt or not, and dropping them in their prints, or having to find them after a good hit.

There are several other folks here that have had great results hunting pigs and other critters with the Grendel, so hopefully they'll chime in with some advice for you. Barnes TTSX seems to be pretty popular.

LRRPF52

Comment

No most shots are taken under 100 yards actually. i just dint like being limited to 3ish with the 223 (16" flat top) There are times I could use the extra range. I love hunting coyotes with an auto loading platform but didn't want to step up to the large framers.

I would like to find something that is in the 5's or so. That was the concern I had with going to a lighter bullet due to the twist.

Comment

• Longshot_34

Welcome aboard! You do know that pics are mandatory, right?

Comment

Working...
          X