CCI BR primers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCI BR primers?

I have a few thousand of these,how will they work in the Grendel?

Going to use TAC and 123 AMAX.

BR-4's are currently what i'm using. I'm not familar with Ramshot powders, there should be no issue unless they require a magnum primer.

Comment

I've never used TAC, but I recently did a test using H4895 and four different primers, all else being the same. Rem 7 1/2, WSR and GM205M all were within 12 fps of one another, but the 4th primer, which was the BR4 came in about 50 fps slower. All loads were 5-shot averages.

H4895 is not known to be hard to light light off. Many spherical powders need a hotter primer to light off effectively. I'm sure someone with specific experience the TAC and the BR4 will chime in.

Hoot

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I shoot a fair amount of Tac, all my loads so far have used cci 450's,,as I own so many I need to use them up. Have been having great succes so far. I use them with X-terminator also, and RL15. Find a copy of Shooting times Sept. 2009, in it - ( THE GUY) from cci-speer- federal ,goes into great detail about primer truths and rumors. Contact cci ask them what the pro-con's are.

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
          I've never used TAC, but I recently did a test using H4895 and four different primers, all else being the same. Rem 7 1/2, WSR and GM205M all were within 12 fps of one another, but the 4th primer, which was the BR4 came in about 50 fps slower. All loads were 5-shot averages.

H4895 is not known to be hard to light light off. Many spherical powders need a hotter primer to light off effectively. I'm sure someone with specific experience the TAC and the BR4 will chime in.

Hoot
          Hoot
          It is interesting to see the velocity differences with the BR-4 primers. I bought a book a few years ago "The Bencrest Primer" a collection of articles from Precision Shooter Magazine. One of the articles was a test of different primers. Basically they cut a case off where the base meets the walls and constructed a device to fire the primers. They used B&W time released photography against a background with grided squares. Of all the primers tested the BR-4 and The BR-2 had le shortest flame height. One of the theories that popularized the small primer small flash hole of the PPC family of cartriges(the Grendel is a descendant of) is that the primer is only strong enough to ignite the powder and the powder pushes the bullet to the rifling. Whereas stronger primers will push the bullets into the rifling and ignite the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
            Hoot
            It is interesting to see the velocity differences with the BR-4 primers. I bought a book a few years ago "The Bencrest Primer" a collection of articles from Precision Shooter Magazine. One of the articles was a test of different primers. Basically they cut a case off where the base meets the walls and constructed a device to fire the primers. They used B&W time released photography against a background with grided squares. Of all the primers tested the BR-4 and The BR-2 had le shortest flame height. One of the theories that popularized the small primer small flash hole of the PPC family of cartriges(the Grendel is a descendant of) is that the primer is only strong enough to ignite the powder and the powder pushes the bullet to the rifling. Whereas stronger primers will push the bullets into the rifling and ignite the powder.
            I read the same German Salazar article.

Hoot

Comment

Working...
            X