A little help...... Please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help...... Please !

My 6.5 is my first auto loading rifle that I have reloaded for, and I am having a number of rounds not going into the chamber fully, and then I can't extract them without the use of a prybar ( a small one !) on the front of the bolt !! I'm I resizing them wrong ?
    I'm resizing them with a Forster FLS dies and Hornady's brass. Any info would be a great help.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Might need to adjust your sizing die so that the case shoulder gets bumped back a tad more.
    Drifter

Comment

• Brian
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2011

Also might want to invest in a case gauge.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Watch your overall length, I had a problem loading 95 V-Max and the profile of the nose would get hung on the rifling even at Hornady's recommended length. I started seating the bullets deeper and solved my problem. This can also happen with 120 grain SMK and other bullets.

Comment

• longdayjake

You aren't bumping the shoulder back far enough. I have tried three different types of grendel dies and all of them required quite a bit of over cam to bump the shoulder back far enough. Try screwing in your die a tad further and I bet it will work.

Comment

• StoneTower

Try a piece of resized brass and see if it will chamber easily and extract easily. If that works out ok, seat a bullet and see of you can easily chamber and extract it. My cases were properly sized but the bullet was being jammed into the lands. Each rifle is different. You need to figure out what the problem is before you can solve it. You don't want to make things worse.

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
              Try a piece of resized brass and see if it will chamber easily and extract easily. If that works out ok, seat a bullet and see of you can easily chamber and extract it.
              +1 on this test.

About 4 or 5 to 1 based based on postings find it's COAL (seating depth), a few find it's the shoulder.

Certain bullets have to be seated so deep they are not really usable. Folks try to use published or mag length, and this is the problem.

If you try to chamber a loaded round, it won't close, and it won't come out, it's most likely seating depth.

Once you get it out, you can also tell by looking at the projectile. You'll see scratches/scarring. (assuming the bullet stayed in the case when extracting)

Comment

• longdayjake

Good point. Now I am interested in which problem it was.

Comment

• skyfish
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Here what I learned with 223. It works with the Grendel as well. Chamber your sized brass, no bullet, primer or powder. If it doesn't chamber or, much more likely, is hard to eject. It the shoulder issue.

Once you have that figured out then you can go with the COL with the bullet. If you need to.

Comment

I have a Case gauge for every caliber I load, they are not that expensive and they really take care of the issues with cases not chambering properly. Here is the link to Midway...

Comment

Originally posted by Clarinath View Post
                      I have a Case gauge for every caliber I load, they are not that expensive and they really take care of the issues with cases not chambering properly. Here is the link to Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=277624
                      +1 for the Wilson case gauge. Great for setting headspace of your dies, doing QA on loaded rounds and checking trim length. I have one for every auto-loader. With bolt rifles, you have a lot more "feel" if the fit is not perfect and can just force it in by leaning on the bolt.

--Rootshot

Comment

[QUOTE=Clarinath;4134]I have a Case gauge for every caliber I load, they are not that expensive and they really take care of the issues with cases not chambering properly.
                        Dittos.
                        Stick with the tolerances of the gauge, if you believe small variations from those tolerances won't cause you problems, then you will be one of the many that have to learn the hard way. It makes a difference and can ruin a potentially great range/hunting day. Try dropping a factory round into your chamber. Press it down hard with a finger then turn the barrel up. It will drop out. Your resized cases and reloads should do the same.

Comment

I also had the same problem until I looked at the depth the brass fit into the case guage. I had to seat the die down a little deaper and it solved the problem. Same goes for resized 7.62x39 brass from winchester the rim of the brass isn't consistant in size and I had to throw away 10 out of 50 brass I resized because the rim was oversized. They worked too once I figured that out.

Comment

Comment

• Long Ranger

Here is one more thing that no one has mentioned yet, check the over all length of the case. Depending on who cut the chamber the over all length of the cartridge is only one variable, case length is also a critical measurement with semi-auto reloading. Try trimming a control set of cases to minimum recommended length and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X