• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

anyone using the 120gmx?

In doing some research for a good hunting bullet I noted that the 120gmx by hornady has a higher bc than the barnes, I think I'm going to try it with some 8208 out of my 20" build, wondring if anyone else had tried this bullet
    Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 06-19-2011, 02:06 AM.
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The 120 gmx is way too long for the Grrr. So I spent some time last Sept. lathing some down. I hit 85 grn. at the start, then 90 , then 100 . , then 95. I shot a few versions of these, and shot a deer with a soft loaded 100 grn. gmx- over 28.8 of x-term,, awesome performance-60 yds. Speed was only 2550 fps. Yet the deer was down right there..- full body penetration, ended up shattering the hind leg above the knee. I have the photos .. Tried a few before that at 29.2 x-term== huge ejector scar, and huge flattened primer...... Lathed down the 100grn. flat base to a 95 boattail and over 29.4-.6 x-term... and the same 1/4" group appeared at 100 & 200 yds. Speed of 2740 plus. My goal is to send a few to horn. to maybe offer these as, they could make these as standard units for reloading, or, ?? The other option is to just use the 100 TTSX Barnes unit, as we've all dialed it in by now. I'm just tryng ta help. Use the machinery to get somethin diff., is all I'm after.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

is the gmx longer than the barnes 120? i have seen factory barnes in 120?

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

The gmx is longer than the barnes 120 & the banes 130 tsx,, and the accubond 130. I've lathed them all down , and shot them all. My goal is to perfect the best, and ship to the manuf. to try and convince them that lighter bullets are the way to go in the Grendel I'll post some photos on this thread , hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The Gmx in the 100 flat base , That I lathed down and , that I shot my first deer with, for 2010,. also known as my dead deer number 39,,- last Nov.,,,,, was The most accurate bullet I've shot through my 19.5" Grendel Entry. It was a true WOW moment for me and my witnesses. The caliber is a true .2645... maybe that helps. The gilding metal makes it so long, makes it a hard one to get any speed from. So, it trully has the potential to become the best - non lead bullet out there ,,,.,, if we can convince Hornady to make a 95 grn. boattail version of it. If I, we , can't make it happen... I'll start a small company up to make my version of the perfect Grendel hunting bullet.

Comment

Would like to see what "too long for the Grendel" means.

QuickLoad carries the following lengths in its database:
            120 GMX with a length of 1.30" in their database.
            • Barnes 110 gr Banded Spizer -- 1.325"
            • Barnes 120 gr Tipped TSXBT - 1.305"
            • Hornady 120 gr GMX -- 1.300"

The JBM Lengths database shows the Hornady 129 gr SST as having a length of 1.322" and the current Midway catalog shows an Alexander Arms load for this bullet.

So, at first glance, the GMX should be short enough since it is the shortest of the four bullets.

Has anyone personally measured the lengths of these bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              Would like to see what "too long for the Grendel" means.

QuickLoad carries the following lengths in its database:
              120 GMX with a length of 1.30" in their database.
              • Barnes 110 gr Banded Spizer -- 1.325"
              • Barnes 120 gr Tipped TSXBT - 1.305"
              • Hornady 120 gr GMX -- 1.300"

The JBM Lengths database shows the Hornady 129 gr SST as having a length of 1.322" and the current Midway catalog shows an Alexander Arms load for this bullet.

So, at first glance, the GMX should be short enough since it is the shortest of the four bullets.

I just measured some 123gr Lapua Scenars, and they mic out at 1.300", and I know I have loaded plenty of them in the Grendel with no problems at all for mag-fed COAL. Unless the 120 GMX has some insane XB-70 Valkyrie-like secant ogive, it should seat just fine into the Grendel I think.

BTW, I just ordered some of those 98gr solids that were made specifically for the Grendel.

LRRPF52
              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                Warrior
                • May 2011

I will measure some today and report back

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  It's normally an issue with the fat ogive shape more than the overall length when someone states a given bullet as too long for Grendel unless it's a super skinny VLD type.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                    It's normally an issue with the fat ogive shape more than the overall length when someone states a given bullet as too long for Grendel unless it's a super skinny VLD type.
                    That's good info -- hopefully "sneaky one" can clarify.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

By too long I mean it takes up preciuos powder space, the 130 accubond is 1.3280, the gmx is 1.4055. the base of the accu. is thick gilding metal I cut them to 1.280 , with no lead showing, to match the 120 Nos.bt, they shot great . Both these bullets are awesome in a lighter weight. I'm hoping to moose hunt with the 120 accu., and shoot deer with the 95 grn. gmx and the 100 Barnes ttsx. If the gmx is loaded to mag lenght it is about a .095 jump. i moved them ahead .050, and took some of the tip off, 3 shots a 100y. into same hole, photos tomorrow.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                        Warrior
                        • May 2011

here it is 1.403"
                        I have some loaded right now waiting to shoot for test loads, I loaded them to 2.25 or 26 cant remember right now.

Comment

"sneaky one" and "toolsofthetrade" -- thanks! This will be useful in QuickLoad and other simulations. I've also forwarded your measurements to JBM Ballistics.

That is one slick-looking bullet!

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52;4989BTW, I just ordered some of those 98gr solids that were made specifically for the Grendel.

[URL="http://www.eliteammunition.net/catalog/item/7440165/8334522.htm"
                            http://www.eliteammunition.net/catalog/item/7440165/8334522.htm[/URL]

LRRPF52
                            LRRPF
                            You will have to let us know how these work out for you.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Ja smith, your quick load is hopefully up to speed on the gmx, it's a long bearing surface bugger! I never loaded 1 as stock length, just looked like too much. I'm going to try to shoot these as 100 grn. at 28.8 x-term at the local shoot in July , if I can get in with a Black Rifle.,, they seem to hate any MAGAZINEs !!!!!! even a 5 rounder. So like rasper sed, let us know the reults. I',m still tryin ta get these photos on this site , something doesn't work just rite yet. I'll get jr. over here to fix it.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 06-14-2011, 12:21 AM. Reason: oops wrong spot

Comment

Working...
                              X