• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Some of my best loads with chrono data

Hello All,
    Here is some of the data that I had posted on the old site before the crash. I thought that repeating it here might be useful. These loads were safe in my rifle, but please work up to the max loads to ensure your own safety.

All of the loads were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS chamber.

Chronograph screens 12 ft. from muzzle, all velocities reported from chrono. (not corrected to muzzle velocity)

All loads used Lapua or Hornady Brass and Rem 7.5 primers. The majority of the velocities listed are average of 5 shots.

Listed in descending order of bullet weight

123 gr. Hornady A-MaxA2520120 gr. Nosler Ballistic TipTACA2520H335RL15120 gr. Sierra SPTAC100 gr. Nosler PartitionH335100 gr. Nosler Ballistic TipH335100 gr. Barnes TTSXH33595 gr. Hornady V-MaxH335REDUCED LOADS
    H4198 - 18 gr for all bullets below
    100 TTSX - 2028 fps
    100 N. Part - 2113 fps
    120 NBT - 1930 fps

Trail Boss - 9 gr
    120 Sierra Pro Hunter - 1187 Fps (did not cycle action)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    GOOD Hunting Loads

120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip with 29 gr of TAC or RL15 - 13 deer

100 gr Barnes TTSX with 30 gr H335 - 1 pronghorn, 4 deer, and 1 coyote

Both of these loads have performed outstanding from 50 to 300+ yards with usually complete penetration and massive damage to the vitals.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I think that about sums up the best of what I had posted on the old forum. I'm glad to see the new forum up and running.

Best,
    PA
  • longdayjake

I also shoot a 20" barrel and I am starting to wonder a little bit about the logic of using slower powders from shorter barrels. I can definately see the logic in using slower powders for longer barrels but would it be wise to use those same slow powders that need longer barrels to burn efficiently out of a shorter barrel? I guess what I am trying to say is that since the Grendel casing is already limited in case capacity why do we use slower powders that take up more room and get less done in less barrel? Do the faster powders create more pressure and less velocity? The reason I say this is that I get more velocity out of my 100 grain TTSX with only 28 grains of aa2230. If I were to put another grain of powder in the casing I am sure I could get even more velocity. I need to do more testing to see how much hotter I can load the 100 ttsx before it starts showing pressure signs but in this case the faster powder does more.

Anyway, can you see my logic?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

longdayjake,

The key is to find the powder (or family of powders) that optimizes the case volume, bore diameter, bullet weight, bullet bearing surface, bullet case volume intrusion, etc. Peak pressure is only one part of the puzzle. What you are really wanting to maximize is the area under the pressure-time curve. A too fast powder will hit peak pressure over too short a time period (less area under the curve). A too slow powder will burn for plenty of time, but will never raise the pressure to an optimum level; again less area under the pressure-time curve). For the 6.5 Grendel with 100 gr bullets powders in the H335, AA2230, X-Terminator burn class provide the optimum time-pressure trace.
      For bullets in the 120-123 gr range, slightly slower powders like AA2520, TAC allow you to put more "area" under the time-pressure trace without exceeding max peak pressure. More area under the curve = more velocity at safe pressures. Barrel length plays a part in the amount of energy you can impart to the bullet, but shorter barrel length does not automatically mean you should use a faster powder.
      I hope this rambling makes sense.
      - PA

Comment

• longdayjake

H335 is a slower powder than 2230 and x-terminator. It is pretty similar to TAC and 4895. H322 is probably a little closer to 2230 and x-terminator. I know a lot of guys like TAC and H335 for the Grendel, but I am finding better results with faster powders. I have a TON of TAC on hand and I don't even like to use it anymore for the Grendel because it takes up so much case capacity and doesn't give me the velocity results I know are possible. Maybe I need to move up to a heavier bullet and see how it does.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
          GOOD Hunting Loads

120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip with 29 gr of TAC or RL15 - 13 deer

100 gr Barnes TTSX with 30 gr H335 - 1 pronghorn, 4 deer, and 1 coyote

Both of these loads have performed outstanding from 50 to 300+ yards with usually complete penetration and massive damage to the vitals.
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

PA
          What kind of accuracy are you seeing with those loads (I have the same barrel)?

Have you tried the 120 gr Barnes TTSX with that barrel?

Thanks,

StoneTower
          Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

StoneTower,

The 100 gr Barnes TTSX with 30 gr H335 usually .5 to .75 MOA.

The 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip with 29 gr of TAC or RL15 both group similar (.5 to 1 MOA usuallY)

Accuracy with any load is generally not a problem. I am the weak link in the system.

I have not used the 120 gr TTSX. The 100 gr shot so well and has exited every animal that I have shot with it, so I saw no need to move up in weight. I'm sure it would perform well though.

- PA

Comment

• longdayjake

I shot the 120's before the 100's came out. They weren't my favorite because they were really slow but I am sure they were capable of getting the job done.

Comment

• StoneTower

How much point of impact difference is there between the 120 gr NBT and the Barnes 100 gr TTSX? Is it precictable enough that a few clicks on elevation can fix the problem before a hunt or is a range trip needed?

Thanks,

David

Comment

• longdayjake

I don't know what speed you are shooting the 120's but I can get the barnes up to 2800 fps pretty easily. So, it may end up a couple inches high at 100 yards but you will have to check yourself. Past 100 yards you will see more of a difference.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                    How much point of impact difference is there between the 120 gr NBT and the Barnes 100 gr TTSX? Is it precictable enough that a few clicks on elevation can fix the problem before a hunt or is a range trip needed?

Thanks,

David
                    Hey David,
                    Sorry for the delayed reply. I was able to check my notes and verify on the range this weekend. Out of my rifle the 100 TTSX point of impact is 1 to 1.25 MOA higher than my 120 gr NBT load. I have reference marks on my elevation turret so I can quickly change zeros between 100 gr and 120 gr class bullets.
                    Best,
                    PA

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
                      Hey David,
                      Sorry for the delayed reply. I was able to check my notes and verify on the range this weekend. Out of my rifle the 100 TTSX point of impact is 1 to 1.25 MOA higher than my 120 gr NBT load. I have reference marks on my elevation turret so I can quickly change zeros between 100 gr and 120 gr class bullets.
                      Best,
                      PA
                      If you could choose only one bullet in the Grendel for hunting deer (you have shot enough with your Grendel to know) which would it be the 120 NBT or the 100 TTSX? Does one seem to do a better job at putting them down quickly? Do you have any copper problems in you LW barrel with the TTSX?

Thanks,

David

Comment

• PA_Allen
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                        If you could choose only one bullet in the Grendel for hunting deer (you have shot enough with your Grendel to know) which would it be the 120 NBT or the 100 TTSX? Does one seem to do a better job at putting them down quickly? Do you have any copper problems in you LW barrel with the TTSX?

Thanks,

David

Comment

• longdayjake

Thanks for the tables. I can't tell you how useful that is.

Comment

• StoneTower

Thank you so much for the information. I think it is time to get some 100 gr TTSX bullets and try to put this information to good use

Cheers.

David

Comment

100 Grain TTSX Loads

I have a Model 1 24" fluted, chrome lined, match barrel for my setup. What load would you recommend for it. I seen that you are using a 20" barrel, will there be much difference with the 24" barrel?

I am planning to use this for deer hunting here in Texas, the deer aren't big, but I like a quick kill.

What do you recommend for the following: I would like to have 2800 FPS if at all possible, what do you think?

Powder? I heard Vihtavouri N335 is supposed to be good.
                              Brass: Is it better to pay the extra $ for the Lapua Brass, or Hornady?
                              Primers: What do you recommend?

Would really appreciate your feedback on this. I'm a retired Marine so money is always a prime factor, don't want to waste it buying a bunch of different powders, etc. if I don't have too. The bullets are already pushing my limits, but I want the best I can afford!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

EARL D. GRIGSBY, JR.
                              Master Sergeant
                              U.S. Marine Corps, Retired

Comment

Working...
                              X