Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stealthshooter

Dies?

I was wondering what dies everyone is using? Do any of you have the factory crimp die from Lee? I don't really care for lee dies I prefer Hornady but the only factory crimp die I can find is in the 3 die set from Lee.
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I am currently using the std Hornady dies. I will most likely pick up the Redding or IF Hornady comes out with a "competition" sizer(read bushing) I may try that. But that will come this winter.

I see RCBS now has 264LBC dies in the new dies more geared toward AR shooters. I think they are called T/C or AR dies. In a black box.

Comment

Just started loading the 6.5 Grendel. I bought Reddings standard 2 die set. Don't know if it's any better than Hornady or Lee but it is a very nice die set. I'm extremely satisfied with the Redding set. It does have a crimp feature in the bullet seater die. A little expensive at $80 but not as expensive as the collet sizer die sets or the micrometer seating dies.

Comment

• Stealthshooter

I have a set of redding dies for my 22-250 and they are nice! Is Hornady the only one that has the sleeve that drops down to support the bullet when seating? I really like that feature.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

I use Hornady dies and I am happy with them.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Originally posted by Stealthshooter View Post
            I have a set of redding dies for my 22-250 and they are nice! Is Hornady the only one that has the sleeve that drops down to support the bullet when seating? I really like that feature.
            Forster does

Comment

I was wondering what dies everyone is using? Do any of you have the factory crimp die from Lee? I don't really care for lee dies I prefer Hornady but the only factory crimp die I can find is in the 3 die set from Lee.
              If you have a Dremel type tool and a drill, you can easily mod a .260 Remington Lee FCD to make it a 6.5 Grendel Lee FCD. It's merely a matter of shortening it. I have a how-to thread with step by step procedure and lots of pictures.

I originally bought the Hornady die set because at the time, it was on sale at Midway. I was disappointed at the resizing die and replaced it with a Forster resizing die. I very much like the Hornady seating die.

Hoot

Comment

...the only factory crimp die I can find is in the 3 die set from Lee.
                If you call the folks at Lee, they'll sell you the FCD separately. Price was consistent with the other calibers.

Comment

Stealthshooter
                  It has also been my experience that if you resize the cases to the correct neck inside diameter there is no need to crimp the bullet. In fact it is probably not a good idea to crimp a bullet that does not have the requisite groove. Since most reloaded brass has variation case neck wall thickness and many reloaders do not have a consistant case length, crimping bullets into cases with variable neck wall thickness and case length introduces an inconsistancy to your finished rounds that opposes the goal of most reloaders - to produce consistant groups on target. Reading through the various posts in this forum you will find most of the long time reloaders will, in my humble opinion, recommend correct neck tension or a slight tapper crimp over the use a standard crimp die.

Comment

Working...
                  X