Problem with Hornady decapping pin when decapping small primer Lapua brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Hornady decapping pin when decapping small primer Lapua brass

I was resizing some 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass the other day and my decapper stem got stuck in a primer pocket. I pushed it out, put it back in the die and did it again. I have deprimed about 150 cases up until now and I am wondering what course I have to take.

Anyone have any fixes for this? Is there a better sizer decapper out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I found a part replacement from Hornady that says it is a small diameter decapper, but it didn't look like the one in my die. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Buy a universial decapper they work great,that way your full length sizer will not get dirty....

Comment

Common problem, Hornady and Lee decapper pins are too large for the AA brass, and some others. I use a Forstner with no problem, appropriate size for the small primer brass.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• StoneTower

If you can get past the price, this is the die to have

$34.95 is not that much, but for a universal die when others sell for around $10.00 is pricy.

It has both size pins (the smaller PPC size).

Comment

• Greyfox
          Bloodstained
          • May 2011

My Hornady dies came with 4 decaping pins. Two small for Lapua cases and two normal size ones. Call or e-mail Hornady and they will send you the right size for Lapua cases.

A universal decapping die is also a good tool to have.

Comment

I had the same problem which was solved by ordering the undersized redding decap pins (.057) item#763052
            from midwayusa. They were still sticking on occasion, so I put them in my dremmel and used a very fine sandpaper to take them down a little more and that ended the problem.

Comment

• skyfish
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

While the Hornady brass has a small primer, the flash hole is larger than Lapua. I think both decapping pins came with my dies. Check your box and if yours did not call Hornady, they will fix it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

A few batches of Lap. brass were under- sized in the flash hole., a few yrs. ago. Trust me ,, I had a many of them,,. Just run , by hand- a -1"16th drill bit thru,, to mimic the Horn. brass hole , and all is well.

Comment

Working...
                X