Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tsutexan34

Suggestions Please

I just go a 6.5 Sporter from model 1 sales and eveything works great except for the fact that the ammo i have is seperating before it gets to the target. I was using wolf 123 gr sp, do yall think that the ammo is the problem?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Huh? That would be a first! The velocities on the Grendel aren't high enough to cause that, unless something is tearing up the bullets before it leaves the barrel!

Comment

• tsutexan34

I shot one time and there were 4 holes on the paper and the inside of the barrel looks fine

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

123 SP is not the best ammo in the world, but I've never seen it break up. Did you only fire one round, then? At what range?

Is it possible the round hit the ground short of the target and splattered rock or gravel through the target area, causing the multiple perforations?

Comment

• Longshot_34

I'm with bill on this one. I'd move closer to the target and try again.

Comment

• tsutexan34

I was 25 yards from the target and my buddy was watching it. It hit the target first it has got me confused because the holes were all within an 1.5 in of each other there were pieces of the bullet still stuck in the cardboard target

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tsutexan34 View Post
              I was 25 yards from the target and my buddy was watching it. It hit the target first it has got me confused because the holes were all within an 1.5 in of each other there were pieces of the bullet still stuck in the cardboard target
              Somethings definitely not right. That bullet is going 2300 FPS or better, even fragments won't stick in cardboard at those velocities, they'll go right through it. Is it possible it hit something behind and rebounded?

There are reports of VERY high velocity target bullets coming apart, but that would be above 3300 FPS or so, from very high twist barrels. The Grendel just doesn't have that kind of velocity.

Did you only shoot one round?

Did you take pictures?

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

TT34:

I have seen guys dump rounds into the ground at 25 and not realize they were doing it. I have also seen guys with AR's fail to consider their sight is about three inches above their barrel and have watched them shoot repeatedly through wooden fixtures without knowing it. I have even seen guys blast concrete for the same reasons but in that case, they knew it when they did it.

That 123 Wolf SP is lousy ammo and has a history of poor performance only equaled by its ability to crud up barrels so badly that guys spent hours cleaning before they got out all the copper.

That said, even when guys shot that ammo, no one said it flew apart.

I have seen a number of bullets disintegrate in flight over the years due to severe hot loading. I have never seen one blow apart before it got out to around 100 yards. And you won't get a Grendel going fast enough to begin with. And not from Wolf stuff because they load very conservatively.

So, there are three potential causes. You are hitting the ground. The bullet jacket on that bullet was so poorly made that it disintegrated in bore. The barrel is horribly screwed up.

Get some 120 Sierra Match Kings. Pull the 123 Soft Points and replace with the 120 Sierra. Shoot them. If the Sierra disintegrates then your barrel is screwed up.

LR1955

Comment

• tsutexan34

I did shoot more than one round and will try to find the target to take a picture thanks for all the help if there is something wrong with the barrel do I just call model 1 and send it back or the barrel manufacturer

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Does the barrel have a flash hider/muzzle break? Could the rounds be striking the muzzle break prior to hitting the target. I've seen it happen before, may be a copper smudge on the edge of the muzzle break hole.

Comment

• tsutexan34

No it is a bull barrel

Comment

Model 1 uses E.R. Shaw barrels. not a bad barrels pal !
                        i would get some quality ammo before looking sideways
                        at that barrel ! it like taking a Ferrari Enzo, and putting
                        in cheep regular gas from ARCO, and bitching it dose not
                        perform well !

Comment

• tsutexan34

I'm not blaming them I have some hornady 123 amax that I'm going to try next would I be able to tell if something was wrong with the barrel just by looking through it

Comment

• tsutexan34

here is the target the perfectly round hole is a 223 shot the rest are 6.5

Comment

Did you take the shot from the prone position?

Remember there's a fair bit of distance between the sight-line and the bore-line. A clear sight picture can have a major obstruction for the bullet just a few feet from the muzzle.

Hitting something in the front of the target would cause the sand-blast effect you show in the target.

Comment

Working...
                              X