• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greyfox
    Bloodstained
    • May 2011

Barnes 100 gr TTSX loads

Would any one have loading data with AA2520,IMR 8208, or BL-C 2 powders for the Barnes 100gr TTSX bullet.I do not need any other powder loading data for other powders than the three powders listed above. I have a 24" AA Overwatch I use for deer hunting. Because the 120gr TTSX is so long I only wanted to try the 100gr TTSX.

How has this bullet performed on deer you shot?

Thanks,
    Greyfox
  • StoneTower

It's not a deer, but is a big piece if tough meat

Here is the pig I shot. It was a 2 1/2 day hunt at Tejon ranch in Southern California. It was shot on the final morning of the hunt and Jason (one of the guys I was hunting with) saw this hog and offered me the shot. He is a great guy. Jason takes great pictures. The gun and the pig look great, but the hunter looks like he

I think the 100 TTSX is the best choice for the Grendel velocities. It is important that the bullet hits with enough speed to open properly. If you get complete penetration and the bulled does not open, you are going to have a 6.5mm hole no matter of it is 100gr or a 160gr.

The 100gr TTSX left a 2 1/2 exit hole so it must have expanded. I actually shot the sow twice. The first was 2 inches behind and 2 inches below the left ear. There was slight movement and the guy I was hunting with said hit her again so I took out the left and right shoulder (you can see the entrance hole in the picture). There was no need to do this as the first bullet had removed the arteries from the top of the heart and the liver looked like it had been run through the blender. Another hunter had a pig he had shot with a 7mm Rem. mag and the damage was about equal.

If you choose the 100gr TTSX for the Grendel, I am sure you will be more than happy.

Good luck,

David

Comment

• Greyfox
      Bloodstained
      • May 2011

Thanks David for the information. With the Grendel velocities do you think this bullet would open up out to 400 yards to be effective on whitetail deer?

Comment

• StoneTower

The load I use came from PA_ALLEN (Thank you again )

Hello All, Here is some of the data that I had posted on the old site before the crash. I thought that repeating it here might be useful. These loads were safe in my rifle, but please work up to the max loads to ensure your own safety. All of the loads were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS

He was kind enough to put together a drop chart on page #2 of that post. I chose the load for 4 reasons:

1: I was going on a pig trip that required the use of non lead bullets (Southern F***en California condor zone)

2. I have the exact same barrel as PA_ALLEN (LW 20")

3. It is 36 miles each way to the range I shoot at so I don't go that often and wanted something that worked. I loaded a few up that had a lower charge and when I had not pressure signs, I moved right up to his load.

4. He says he has gotten great results with the bullet and has several kills to back it up. Complete penetration is good and for a caliber with a conservative velocity like the Grendel, more velocity is a good thing to extend the range and ensure better expansion. The 100g bullet can usually be pushed faster out of a given caliber. PA_ALLEN is getting 350fps faster out of a 100gr TTSX than he is getting out of a 120gr NBT. That is ia huge difference when you are talking sub 3000fps velocities.

Let me also say that I am not really a Barnes fan because of some of the politics that went on during the decision to make the "condor zone" lead free. Barnes already had lead free bullets and helped push through the legislation (if what I read is true). The whole condor thing is a bunch of crap as more die from electrical wires on other things than from lead poisoning. I am also sure that choking down one of those sharp Barnes bullets would not be good on their digestive tract and they would probably die of perforated intestine. I just feel the lead ban is a way to chip away at our ability to afford to shoot. I can afford to shoot big game with copper bullets, but they have some of the best ground squirrel hunting down there and there is no way that I could justify 400 lead free bullets for a day of fun. When I have more time, I may investigate Nosler's lead free offering. We all need to stick together if we are going to preserve our rights.

To answer your question about the whitetail deer, I am not sure. LaRue killed an Elk and had a pass through shot with a 120gr Barnes at 405 yards. That pig is probably tougher than any whitetail deer but it was much closer. I am not sure that a Grendel is really a 400 yard cartridge, but how many 400 yard shots are you going to take? The other thing to keep in mind is that it is a great platform for a second shot if you need it. Maybe PA_ALLEN could answer this question better.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Greyfox,
          Started at 2775 fps, the 100 gr ttsx is down to about 1850 fps at 400 yds. This is really close to the expansion threshold of 1800 fps quoted to me by a barnes tech. I have shot game at just over 300 yds with this load, and the bullet obviously was still exxpanding nicely at that range and velocity (about 2000 fps). If I really wanted to shoot deer sized game at 400 yds, I would likely pick a softer cup and core bullet with a higher BC to help fight wind drift such as the 120 gr NBT or 123 gr Amax. Good luck with whatever you choose.
          PA

Comment

• Greyfox
            Bloodstained
            • May 2011

PA_Allen
            Thanks for the information. I was wondering what the expansion threshold was and I totaly agree with you that 400 yards would be pushing it. I agree the Ballistic tip would work fine.I shot a doe with a 120gr Speer hot core and a large buck with a 120 Rem PSPCL. Last year I tried the Nosler 120 gr BT but never got a shot. I shot alot of deer with the 120gr Nosler BT in my 260 Remington and was very pleased.I am trying to find the perfect Grendel deer bullet from any distance up to 400 yards as max.

My Grendel match rifle loves the Sierra 107 match bullets at 600 yards. The wind drift is the same as the Sierra 120 match bullet at 600 yards. The 100 gr TTSX would take up less case capacity than the poplar 120 TTSX bullet and be driven faster. This is why I was hopeing the 100gr TSXX would be the bullet to go to.

I could have a shot at deer that run the fence line about 375 yards or less just north of my house. I sold my 260 Remington so my Grendel is my only long range rifle.Thats why I am asking for advice.

Greyfox

Comment

• StoneTower

The 100 TTSX will probably expand better than the 120 TTXT. Try it and see how it shoots for you in the wind at 400 yards. The Grendel has such light recoil that with a good first hit, you should be able to get a good follow up shot. I took 3 coyotes out of the same pack. I took the farthest first at about 475 and worked to the next closest and then took the third. It was all over in about 4 seconds.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Greyfox,
                Sounds like with your experience shooting at 600 and your previous 6.5 experience with the .260 you are good to go. Any of the bullets we have been discussing will work just fine. Coincidentally I deer hunted for years with the .260's older brother, the 6.5x55, for years before buying my Grendel. I have taken 13 deer with the 120 NBT out of the Grendel and another handful with the same bullet out of the 6.5x55. In all cases it performed admirably.
                I have not shot my Grendel out to 600, but I did shoot my 5.56 service rifle at 600 last week in competition...and was humbled by the wind. ;^)
                Best,
                PA

Comment

• Greyfox
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2011

StoneTower,

That must of been a great thrill to shoot three coyotes at that distance at the same time.You are the envy of the Grendel world.

To hit at that range did you dial in the distance or use something like a ballistic plex scope? For target shooting you set your 600 yard setting to get on target. Then you have two sighter shots to fine tune to hit center. Coyotes do not give you that much time so you have to be right on. What bullet do you use on coyotes?
                  Greyfox

Comment

• StoneTower

I shot them with a 120 NBT. I had 3 decoys out so I knew the distances. Everything lined up just right. The turrets were dialed for 475 yards which I used to take the first and second shot (2nd shot I estimated). I had a JPoint optical sight mounted on the side of the tube which I used to take the final coyote (at about 180 yards) that was trying to get the hell out of dodge but running directly toward me. Sometime the stars just line up. I could probably try the same trick 20 time in a row and not do it again. We were above them overlooking a plane and after the first shot the other 2 froze and time seemed to stop. After the second shot, the third was obviously confused as to where the shot was coming from, but he did not have long to ponder the thought. The point is that with a light recoiling autoloader a follow-up shot is a real possibility.

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
                    StoneTower,

That must of been a great thrill to shoot three coyotes at that distance at the same time.You are the envy of the Grendel world.

To hit at that range did you dial in the distance or use something like a ballistic plex scope? For target shooting you set your 600 yard setting to get on target. Then you have two sighter shots to fine tune to hit center. Coyotes do not give you that much time so you have to be right on. What bullet do you use on coyotes?
                    Greyfox

Comment

• Greyfox
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2011

PA_Allen

I too liked the Nosler 120 BT in the 260 Rem untill the 130 Accubond arrived on the bullet selection. That is an awsume bullet in the bigger than the Grendel cases. That bullet holds together and really reaches out at long range.The best 260Rem bullet I used.

I shot two deer with the Grendel so far. I used a Rem 120gr PSPCL and Speer 120 Gr Hot Core. The Speer bullet went through the doe's lungs at about 100 yards. Exit hole was bullet diameter. The 120 gr Rem was a frontal shot of a large buck at about 65 yards. When the deer turned I put one through the lungs. Nether deer went very far but still want a better bullet. I tested both bullets in milk jugs full of water. Not perfect science but you recover the bullets and see how far the penetrate. So far I have been able to predict how they preform on deer. The rem pspcl does not open up fast and seems more suited to the 6.5 Rem mag it was designed for. The speer holds together but did not have a large frontal diameter.

My experence with the BT in the 260 was 100% successful. From your experence with the BT in the Grendel and 13 succesful deer kills ,I might put the TTSX on hold.

I tried my NM 5.56 at 600 yards for the fist time last week. All I will say is that I have all summer to improve!!!

Greyfox

Comment

Working...
                      X