• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

100gr Sierra/Berger loads

I just picked up some 100gr Sierra hp Varmint and some 100gr Berger match bullets. Anyone have some data for either. Have X-Terminator and TAC and IMR 8208 on hand.

Also just found a modified 6.5 Grendel case so I can measure the COL at touching the rifling better. Like the modified case better than the smoke/marker or whatever and adjusting the depth.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I haven't used the Sierra 100's, but I like the Bergers. I load them over XTerm and worked my way up from 27.5 grains.

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Thanks, I'm going on a P-dog shoot(can't really call it hunting). And would like to shoot the 6.5 a little. 204R is primary. I'm going to load some 95 Vmaxs' and some of each of the 100's. On the Grendel how do you measure pressure, primer seems too late. Ejector marks happens on my 223 AR with some factory loads? It is the 18" AA barrel, the std grade. Do you try for a certain velocity? Is 8208 a little too slow? I see many have used for 107-123gr bullets. Lots of questions. Thanks again.

I'm a little embarrassed about my first outing. I was so proud of my build I didn't have my scope rings tight, oops. I guess the good news is on the V-max's is that out a 5, 3 were touching or very close on almost every 5 shot group. I thought it was me!

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

I got about 2650 FPS out of my 20" with the 100's, and wasn't really pushing it. Pressure signs in the AR are notoriously unreliable, so I stick to fairly conservative loads, thus my advice to start at 27.5. Max load for the Nosler BT 100 is 29.7 grains, and for the 95 VMax is 30.8 if I remember right, so 27.5 should give you a good starting place. My load is is 29 grains.

Be conservative, watch closely.

I haven't tried XBR with the 100 grain Bergers, but it gives me 2670 FPS with 107 Sierras from a 20" barrel and 28.5 grains.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I loaded some 100 grain Sierra HP over 29.0 grains of H335. I haven't chronographed them yet but I shot some water filled jugs and the performance was good out of a 16" barrel. The bullets expanded uniformly and penetrated deeper than I expected. This load is accurate out of my rifle and should do well on varmints.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I loaded some 100 grain Sierra HP over 29.0 grains of H335. I haven't chronographed them yet but I shot some water filled jugs and the performance was good out of a 16" barrel. The bullets expanded uniformly and penetrated deeper than I expected. This load is accurate out of my rifle and should do well on varmints.
            I have been using 100gr Barnes TTSX over 30.5 gr H335 for hogs and it has been working very well for me.

Comment

• skyfish
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I loaded up some rounds, ended up getting a modified 6.5 case from Hornady. Thought some of you may like to see some of these measurements.

COL to rifling on the following bullets. 18" AA barrel purchased about 18 months ago.

123 A-max/ 2.264 COL touching
              100gr Sierra Varmint HP/ 2.120"
              95gr V-max/ 2.15
              100gr Berger/ 2.274

This is just a reference to show what different bullet profiles are like. Don't use these for your rifle. Also, the Berger's varied a little bit with different bullets because of the hollow point. I used a comparator and it was constant. Gave the average for the COL. Those 100gr Sierra's make the 95 V-max look sleek.

A neat tidbit. On the comparator, Berger 1.706, V-max 1.626. Only .080 difference , but .120" difference with COL.

Hope to shoot a few tonight.

Comment

Working...
              X