• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Need help on reloading problem

I'm reloading my 6.5 grendel with both wolf and hornady brass. I use Lee dies but get the same problem with both types of brass. I size and trim my brass and they fit perfect in my chamber gauge. The problem occurs when I seat my bullets they will no longer fit my chamber gauge.I have tried seating them at all acceptable lengths with no success. It seams when I seat my bullets it pushes my cases out of size.I have never had this problem before.I was wondering if my neck sizer wasn't big enough when I re size my cases. I tried lubing my bullets with no success. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by montana; 06-04-2011, 05:55 AM. Reason: wrong name on reloading die
  • infidel470

Stop using Lee dies, they are known to cause a lot of problems. I have a Redding sizer die and Forster seating die - not a problem.

Comment

• longdayjake

You may not be seating your bullets deep enough. Even though they will fit inside a magazine it does not mean the bullet body won't be contacting the rifling. Lee dies are crap but they still work just fine so that should not be causing this problem.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

need help with reloading

Thanks for the response. I have seated my bullets at all lengths and that's not the problem. When I seat a bullet it deforms the brass enough the case will no longer fit in the case gauge. I have read in other areas of problems with Lee dies. I have ordered redding dies and I will see if that solves the problem before I blame the Lee dies. Thanks again for the response and any more information is appreciated. Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by montana View Post
          I'm reloading my 6.5 grendel with both wolf and hornady brass. I use Lee dies but get the same problem with both types of brass. I size and trim my brass and they fit perfect in my chamber gauge. The problem occurs when I seat my bullets they will no longer fit my chamber gauge.I have tried seating them at all acceptable lengths with no success. It seams when I seat my bullets it pushes my cases out of size.I have never had this problem before.I was wondering if my neck sizer wasn't big enough when I re size my cases. I tried lubing my bullets with no success. Any suggestions?
          Montana,
          You have probably set the main body of your die too deep. You can size your brass perfectly but when seating your bullets you can change all that by having the main body of your seating die set too deep causing it to push your shoulder back there-by expanding your case just enough to cause it to jam in your chamber. Back the die out a few turns place one of your 'good' shells in the shell holder, raise the ram to full height, screw the die down until it makes contact, loosen it just a hair and lock it into place. Then reset your seating depth and try it again. Your reloading manuel (Speer, Hornady etc) explains how to set up your die properly to avoid what happened to your brass.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

While some Lee dies certainly have had problems, I loaded thousands of rounds on my set without issues.

I agree with steel89, this sounds like a setup issue with the seater die.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

The depth of my die has no effect. I think the neck sizer isn't expanding the neck wide enough. It acts like the bullet is being seated with too much force ,pushing the shoulder down. I'm still at a loss and still think it may be the resizing die. Thanks again for the information. Montana

Comment

• pinzgauer
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

. I think the neck sizer isn't expanding the neck wide enough.
                Caliper- Use it!

Measure inside diam of the sized cases, and also the OD of the expander ball. there will be some spring back.

Comment

• khamill2000

The depth of my die has no effect. I think the neck sizer isn't expanding the neck wide enough. It acts like the bullet is being seated with too much force ,pushing the shoulder down. I'm still at a loss and still think it may be the resizing die. Thanks again for the information. Montana
                  Sure smells like the seater die to me

Comment

• longdayjake

Its not the sizer. I have loaded rounds that I took the expander button out of for my grendel and they shot fine.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

I'm thinking it may be a flaw in the seater die.The case comes out fine after I size the case.It measures out true . But when I seat the bullet it has high spots around the base of the case . Thanks again for your input. This has been a first for me with reloading. Montana

Comment

Please do not ignore good advice already given! Your seating die is screwed into the press to far! Back it out at least one full turn and then adjust the seating stem.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I seated the bullets and they expanded in small areas of the lower section of the cartridge.The only way I could find these high spots was to dykem blue the case and push the cartridge into the case gauge and then, push them out.I have never experienced this before in all of my many years of reloading. I missed the high spots with my measuring gauge because I had to set the cartridges just right to hit the high spots.. I never ignored any advice. in fact I turned back my seating die up right after you suggested it because it did sound like the problem that I hadn't thought of. It had no effect on the problem .All of your advice is good and its great having this forum to get so many good ideas from so many people.but this problem has been a new one on me. I'm going to get a different seating die to see if that may solve be the problem. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again for all your time and ideas. Montana
                          Last edited by montana; 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

I just tried my Redding sizer die and the wolf cases came out perfect, but my Hornady cases are still having the same problem. If anyone can figure this out I would sure like to know the problem. I'm seating sierra 120 grain bullets.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                              Warrior
                              • May 2011

sometimes its hard to diagnose a problem with out seeing what is happening, so....since we cant see what you are doing, tell us in detail what you do for case prep.
                              Are you setting up your dies per the instructions? using the right shell holder for the round you have? chamfering i/s o/s case neck? is your brass clean, are your dies clean? are you setting up you're seating die to do a crimp? I tend to set my die way away from any crimp, and if I crimp I use the Lee FCD. Are you trimming your brass to the same length?

Comment

Working...
                              X