Leverevolution-Grendel evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leverevolution-Grendel evolution

This powder was talked about in a previous post, I started a new thread specifically for this powder to see if other people were having as good of luck with it as I am.

20" Les Baer barrel.
    123 gr Amax
    31.4 gr charge
    CCI 450 primer

2600 fps
    15 fps deviation
    1 hole groups.

I am getting better velocity than what 2520 was giving me with this powder with no signs of pressure. With 2520 I got electors marks on my brass with factory posted loads with this charge of Leverevolution I am not even getting those. This powder also has a very distinct smell when fired.

I also talked with Hodgdon and gave them my load data, maybe they will experiment with it.

If you have any experience with this powder and the Grendel please share, even if you don't and you have any thoughts or opinion either positive or critical please share. It is communities like this that keep cartridges pike the Grendel alive and kicking.

I'm trying to find some locally with no luck. I have 100 cartriges ready to reload with 123AMAX and 123 SMK. Some will be with 8208 and I'd like to do a spread with the Leverevolution. Things are looking up.

Comment

• longdayjake

is it a ball powder or extruded?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
        is it a ball powder or extruded?
        Double-based spherical.
        Drifter

Comment

I recently saw that Midwayusa was offering a bullet I hadn't seen before .264cal 120gr NorthFork. It's performance closely parallels the Barns Bullets except that it is Lead core and exceptionally expensive. If you put the Leverevolution behind a 120gr bullet like this it should be a great hog or Mule deer round.
          Here is a link to their site: http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...120-ss-1.html/

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
            I recently saw that Midwayusa was offering a bullet I hadn't seen before .264cal 120gr NorthFork. It's performance closely parallels the Barns Bullets except that it is Lead core and exceptionally expensive. If you put the Leverevolution behind a 120gr bullet like this it should be a great hog or Mule deer round.
            Here is a link to their site: http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...120-ss-1.html/
            Ouch, though, $1.65/bullet! Not much practice at that level!

Lousy BC's, to, with that less than aerodynamic shape. I agree, they look like they'd make a good hog bullet, though!

Comment

Agreed,
              I think I'll stick with the cheaper stuff until they drop their prices. It kind of takes the fun out of load development.

Comment

• skyfish
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

I used just a little bit, shows promise IMO. I moved to lighter bullets but will get back to the 120-123 I'm sure. Its a spherical, more dense than 2520. At least mine was, could fit 1-1.5 grains more before compressing. Have no idea about temp sense. I was getting good velocities, but not as high as 2520. BUT, only loaded a small batch and started pretty conservative. I think it will at least match 2520 if not exceed in velocity. Nice to have another option.

My rifle functioned fine with both and groups were okay, but realized scope was loose when I got back home.

Comment

It is temp sensitive just like 2520, and it is a denser powder for sure.

30.8 is the highest I went with 2520 and that was compressed.
                  At 31.4 I am not compressing LVR as much and I am getting 60 fps more.

Comment

Found Leverevolution in stock at BSP, now if I could get them to carry the 6.5mm AMAX 123g I'd be happy. They also stock the BMX 8208.

Comment

LVR powder results

I am presently breaking in a new upper for th 6.5 Grendel. I have just started to reload for this cartridge. I tried some LVR powder i had been using 2520.

18" Lother Walther barrel 1-8 twist
                      123 gr A-MAX
                      31 gr, of LVR
                      205M primer

2510 fps avg 5 rds
                      32.2 fps deviation
                      .727 group

No pressure signs, but i still get a little pin ejector mark on the case, i also get these with 2520. The LVR powder does not seem to compress as much as 2520.

123GR a-MAX
                      30GR 2520
                      205m PRIMER

2537FPS 5RDS AVG.
                      40.8 FPS DEVIATION
                      did not do accuracy test with this load yet

123 SMK
                      31gr LVR
                      205M primer

2533 fps
                      33.2 deviation
                      .680 group

I have just now with these gruops have shot 50rds thru the weapon, so i know these numbers will change. I hope this info helps anybody loading for this round.

Comment

It seems that Leverevolution, 2520 and XBR 8208 are fairly clean burning and produce good velocities in the 120-123 gr bullets. XBR 8208 uses fewer grains of powder to produce its speed, other than that, is there one that gets the vote for best?

Comment

I am getting better velocity with LVR, and better accuracy with LVR and 8208. 8208 is less temp sensitive. My vote goes with LVR and 8208, I am torn between them two.

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to buy 8lbs of powder but it's tough to decide on which one..............great to have such tough decisions in life.

Comment

Well, it is official, I will be the guy shooting LVR. I can't believe the performance I get with it.

I just work up a new load with it.

20" barrel.
                              120gr Barnes TTSX
                              450 primer
                              31 gr charge
                              Average velocity 2607

I haven't shot for accuracy yet.

I sincerely hope a more experienced reloader get on this band wagon soon because I don't consider myself to be that guy so I don't necessarily consider these to be "proven" loads. Though I am not getting any pressure signs and I am going to continue to shoot them, with my figures crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X